Spotlight: Ben Wilcoxson

Dalton Ney , Staff Writer

His name is Benjamin Wilcoxson… others know him as “Back Side Benny” or the all-time favorite “Bennyhana”. He is like a Tasmanian devil on the base paths and can fly around the bases. He wears number 8 on his jersey and is not someone you want to mess with at the plate if you are an opposing team. He is a senior in his last here at Kentucky Wesleyan College and has been the starting short-stop since his freshman years. You could say he has a lot of experience in the playing field and has really shown something different this year than he has in the past years when it comes to hitting. Bennyhana is on fire, constantly finding ways on base whether it be getting hit by a pitch or smacking doubles in the gap.

PLAYER OF THE WEEK

Benny had the week of his life when it came to hitting and being huge part of the offense for the panthers the week of April 7th – April 12th. During this week the Panthers took on the University of Southern Indiana on a Wednesday before the Panthers left again later that week for the weekend series against The University of Findlay. In the first game of the week against Southern Indiana Wilcoxson had three hits out of his four plate appearances that game. He had two runs batted in and even had one triple as one of his hits, as well as one stolen base. He was flying around the bases this game against Southern Indiana and brough his batting average from .311 to .347 in just one game, but he was only getting started. The next four games is where Benny really took over the driver seat in the batters box and lit a fire. In the first game against Findlay, he went two for five with two runs batted in and he scored twice as well. In the next game he kept adding to his hits and had three hits in his four at bats that game also scored twice again and had two runs batted in again. For the third game against Findlay, he had two hits in just three at bats and scored once, with two more runs batted in. In the last game of this series he had his best performance of the weekend with three hit in his five at bats with three runs scored and knocked in three runs as well. In total on the week Bennyhana went 13-21 with two doubles, one triple, 11 runs batted in, ten runs scored, two walks, one hit by pitch, and only one strike out which is absurd! Just counting this week of play for him his batting average was .619 earning him the award of Player of the Week in the G-MAC conference. This week also brought his season batting average up to .409 making this dude incredibly hot at the plate and making it hard for the pitchers to get him out.