Keelan Cole: Diamond in the Rough

Malik Malone, Sports Editor

Keelan Cole is by far one of the most dynamic athletes to have ever put on a Kentucky Wesleyan Panther jersey. There is no question that he is the best wide receiver to ever come through the panthers program. After this season, Keelan Cole will have a chance at being one of the first Panthers ever to be drafted by the National Football League.

The wide out from Louisville Kentucky is no stranger to making big plays for the Panthers. Ever since his sophomore year, Cole has been an All American. His sophomore year, to go along with his great plays on the football field, Cole was named the Great Midwest Athletic Conference Track Athlete of the Year.

The star for Kentucky Wesleyan football has scored three or more touchdowns in four different games. In his sophomore season, he completed 19 TD receptions, a D2-best. He has run over 100 yards in every game except two and has hauled in 1,381 yards through the air, another D2-best.

Keelan Cole had more accepting yards than any player in D2 football a year ago (1,516). He likewise drove the division in getting yards per diversion (137.8) and accepting touchdowns (21). His yards and touchdowns were both single-season Kentucky Wesleyan school records, and he likewise set a solitary amusement record with four touchdown gatherings.

Cole was also named Associated Press Little College All-American third team. He was chosen first team All-American by Don Hansen’s Football Gazette, he was also selected to Gazette’s All-Super Region Four first team and he also received the WESPY’s Athlete of the Year Award and Kentucky Wesleyan College Player of the Year Award. First in receiving yards with 1,345, in the 2015 season he caught 73 passes and also was considered a leader in receiving touchdowns with 17 he also averaged 18.4 per catch and averaged 134.5 yards per game. He registered a season-high 278 yards and five touchdowns at Louisiana College. On Oct. 24, he had a season-best 12 receptions at East Tennessee State on Nov. 21.

The longest reception was 79 yards, and he rushed for 60 yards on 11 carries and one touchdown. Hcolee averaged 5.5 yards per rush and returned 14 kickoffs for 300 yards including one touchdown. The leading scorer with 114 points with 14 total touchdowns. He was the first in all-purpose yards with 1,705 for an average of 170.5 yards per game. The recorded three games of 200+ receiving yards. The posted three contests Keelan Cole received 100+ receiving yards and started all 10 contests.

Kelan Cole has proven all he had to at the division 2 level and will get blessed with the opportunity to play in the national football league. The Kentucky Wesleyan fans will miss seeing Keelan Cole play making ability. It will be great if Mr. Cole get the chance to play at the next level the panther family will be proud of him.