Kentucky Wesleyan Adds to the Backcourt

Malik Malone, Sports Editor

Charles Foster adds great depth to Kentucky Wesleyan’s backcourt. Standing at 6-foot-tall, Foster is ready to take charge of the Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers. Foster grew up only two hours away from Owensboro in the city of Louisville, where he won a State Championship with the Trinity Shamrocks. He is no stranger to winning basketball games since the Shamrocks won the 27th District, Seventh Region, and State Championships with a 35-3 record in 2012.

At East Carolina, where foster first played college basketball, Foster averaged 2.2 points as a junior in the 21 games he played. Prior to that, he played at Vincennes, where he played under Coach Todd Franklin. He was the Trailblazers’ second leading scorer at 14.4 points as a sophomore. Foster was also second in assists with 182, a 5.4 average, steals with 22, three-pointers with 61, three-point shooting at 41.5 percent, and free throw shooting at 76.6 percent in starting 31 of 34 contests.

This past summer Foster played in a huge basketball league called Kentuckiana Pro-Am tourney, which is for over-league stars that come back home and still showcase their talent, or for college athletes who want to prove themselves against the top athletes from the Midwest area. This year, the big star guest was Dangelo Russell who played in the league. Even with names like Dangelo Russell, Foster still was one of the MVP of the tourney and gave Kentucky Wesleyan a huge praise in The Courier-Journal.

Charles will be a great add to the Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers, playing right beside of Ken-Jah Bosley. Bosley has career-best numbers in the midst of an impressive winning streak. A 6-foot-1, 181-pound guard from Richmond, Ky., Bosley is up for another nod as Great Midwest Athletic Conference Men’s Basketball Athlete of the Week. Bosley is a great basketball player and has a great IQ when it comes to the game. With Foster beside him, the Panthers could be looking at another run for the NCAA Division Two playoffs.

Last year marked the 36th 20-plus win season in Kentucky Wesleyan College history and the 79th winning season in 105 years. The Panthers finished second in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference regular season and tournament with a 22-8, 10-4 G-MAC, record.

Behind all the good players is a great coach. Happy Osborne reached his 500 career wins in 17 seasons as a collegiate head coach at the last victory of 2015. Osborne’s record at Kentucky Wesleyan is 44-17, 2013-15 and at Georgetown 456-84, 1996-2011. The Kentucky Wesleyan basketball team should be looking for another deep run in this year’s tournament as they reload their talent.basketball