Reality and Dorm Living

Wilson Buckner, Features Editor

I’m writing this article with a little sadness. This will be my last semester at Wesleyan, and it didn’t hit me until I finally finished moving into my dorm room. I spent this past summer working in the same restaurant I’ve worked in for the past five years. When I wasn’t working, I was on the beach, playing soccer, beach volleyball, golf, and tennis with the same buddies I work with. But I was also eager to get back to Kentucky Wesleyan to see my buddies and to finally graduate.

Over the summer, I had a chance to think about my time at Wesleyan. When I arrived on campus, I didn’t know anyone. My brother is a Wesleyan grad, so a few of his friends were on the lookout for me. A few professors recognized my name and made the connection to my brother, and of course, Dean Kramer had me on his radar. When I came to Wesleyan, I wanted to be my own person and not live in the shadow of my brother. I think I’ve achieved that goal.

While at Wesleyan, I have made lifelong friends from all over the world. I’ve had the chance to play a sport at a collegiate level. I’ve had the opportunity to learn from professors who challenged me to go beyond what I thought I was capable of delivering.

My time at Wesleyan has been the best years of my life so far. I’ve learned patience and perseverance. I’ve learned how to collaborate and the importance of valuing the unique talents and qualities of my fellow students. I’ve actually developed relationships with professors! Who knew that was even possible?

I’m scheduled to graduate in December with the necessary skills needed to succeed. This I think is what makes Wesleyan unique. It’s hard to put into words exactly what the Wesleyan Way is.