Brought Together Through Basketball

Kaitlyn Groce, Features Editor

On Saturday, March 12th Rogers Hall began filling up with members of the community and some of the student body, all supporting their very own Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers basketball team. The new projector was up and running as students, faculty, and community members found their seats and prepared to watch the KWC Panthers to take on Wisconsin-Parkside for the Division II Midwest Regional Tournament.

After dealing with the audio and video delay and finally syncing the two, the game was already underway and the audience was eagerly awaiting every move by the Panthers. It was clear at the very beginning of the game, that the audience was going to be very vocal in their support for the Panthers. Claps, hoots, and hollers echoed and radiated out into the hallways from the beginning to very end of the game.

The students, faculty, and community members came together and bonded over pizza and college basketball. Viewers were constantly on their toes through the entire game. Even though the game did not end in a Panther victory, the basketball team gave it all they had and did not go down without a fight.

Unfortunately, the audience picked up on the high possibility of a Panther loss, which led numerous audience members to exit the room. It was very difficult and painful to watch the final minute of the game, knowing that the Panthers were so deserving, and had the ability to win the championship.

The drive by the basketball team to succeed and to prove themselves has not been overlooked by the community and the student body. There is no doubt that the team will dearly miss their seniors Tamron Manning, Basil Deveaux, Marcus Fillyaw, C.J. Blackwell, Devin Langford, Marcus Fuggins, and Jermaine Morgan. The Panthers will continue to be a force to be reckoned with and should not be easily disregarded by the competition.

If there is one thing that the Panthers are guaranteed to continue being known for, it is their ability to never stop competing. They are relentless when it comes to each and every second of the game. The Panthers pushed and never gave up at any point in the game, which resulted in the fans following the players’ leads and sticking with them throughout the entire game.

A loss is never easy, especially for the seniors, but there is no doubt that the Panthers will  come back stronger and even better next year ready to take on their opponents. They continue to make their community and their student body proud by setting such a great example of sportsmanship and work ethic throughout the season and even the off-season.