Denver Defense vs. Carolina Panthers

Kaitlyn Groce, Features Editor

On Super Bowl Sunday 2016, a number of students gathered in Roger’s Hall to watch the Denver Broncos take on the Carolina Panthers and enjoy some good food at the same time. Walking in, the smell of buffalo chicken wings immediately overtook the senses and invited students further into the room. The back wall was full of nachos, chicken wings, hot dogs, chili, drinks, and even ice cream with a variety of toppings.

After finding a seat in front of the brand new projector and casually conversing with the football fan sitting next to you about which team should/would win and why, Lady Gaga graced the screen as she began to sing the national anthem. Then the two sets of captains met in the middle of the field and participated in the coin toss. The Panthers called tails and ended up winning the coin toss.

Throughout the game, it was clear that a majority of the more vocal viewers in the room were rooting for the Panthers to win the 50th Super Bowl. They were very reactive when the Panthers’ quarterback, Cam Newton, got hit thirteen times by the Broncos’ defense. It was clear very early on in the game that the Broncos’ defense was going to put up a fight and really test the Panthers’. The Broncos’ defense forced four turnovers from the Panthers that ultimately resulted in the Broncos winning the game.

During halftime, there was a raffle for gift cards to local restaurants that the school gave away, even though students were more focused on the halftime show. Coldplay, Bruno Mars, and Beyoncé graced the stage in a very colorful halftime show that left viewers talking days after the show. At halftime the score was 13-7 with the Broncos leading.

Newton was put under a lot of pressure due to the severity of the game, the Denver defense and by his teammates, and unfortunately he was unable to deliver. There was no denying that Newton did not stand a chance against such a strong defensive team. He overthrew numerous passes due to the immense amount of pressure riding on his shoulders; he is now tied for the most overthrown passes in a Super Bowl.

It was a very emotional game for Peyton Manning and his fans with the rumors that the Super Bowl would be the very last time he stepped foot on the field. He denied and would not say for sure what his future looked like regarding another year of football even though numerous reporters tried to pull information from him. Teammates from both the Broncos and Panthers came up to congratulate Manning after the win, proving how respected he is by fellow athletes.

Being able to watch the Super Bowl with other football fans at Wesleyan was an amazing experience and allowed students to engage with other football fans and create relationships formed around the shared interest of football.