Football Successes

De'Vonta Moffitt, Sports Editor

“If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk , if you can’t walk, then crawl, but whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward,” Martin Luther King Jr.

Slow progress is better than no progress. Brent Holsclaw, head coach of Kentucky Wesleyan College football for 13 years, is watching the culture change and progress right before his eyes. From 2012-14, Coach Holsclaw and the football teams were at an all-time low, winning 0 games in 22 tries. In three years, the team turned into a winning team.

Football to its spectators is a game of X’s and O’x, wins and losses. To the athletes, there’s more to the equation, like the brotherhood and bond formed in the midst of the storm, the faith needed to continue the course even when everyone is against you, the mental stability you need to face the critics each and every moment you open your eyes. Everyone threw in the towel, but with the leadership, commitment, and determination of Holsclaw, giving up was never a possibility. Fast forward to 2015, after coach’s first winning season going 7-4, everyone knew that following up and progressing would be easier said than done.

Every year the team has new faces and personalities that the team has to deal with and mold with the team. I for example having a bold, outgoing personality I knew my coaches wanted to give up on me. Questioning authority and challenging every call made me see how losing is so easy. Once again coaches and players never gave up on me, even when they had every reason to.

That’s the testament to family, a word that was repeated persistently throughout the year. F.A.M.I.L.Y is an acronym that carries weight, “Forget About Me I Love You.” That means sacrifice and unity. Also means pain, hurt, humility, and more. No matter what obstacle we faced, because we have family, we’ll find a way through. Even though at times the mission felt impossible we kept believing in God, our leadership, and ourselves. The past season many would look at and say it was a disappointment after going 5-6. I want you to think about these statistics 2012-14 record 0-22, 2014-15 13-10. Winning record in the past 2 years. In 2012-14, more upperclassmen came back than incoming freshman. In 2014, 35 members of the team were incoming freshman: in 2015, 30 were incoming freshman, totaling 65 new family members.

Those are the statistics that are over-looked. We exceeded expectations in my eyes. Not only did we suffer the weight of the world, we came out and steadily grew stronger by the year. There’s limitless possibilities to the future, but one thing I can say is we control our fate. If everyone is against us as long as we have our leader, higher power and ourselves that’s all we need. “Success is not final—failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” That is what we will always do, keep pushing forward as one. We will only go as far as our minds allow us. Rather we win the National Championship, make the playoffs, or lose every game you cannot neglect the progress being made.