Midnight Movie Madness

Kaitlyn Groce, Features Editor

After staying inside, trying to stay warm on Friday, getting out of the dorms and going to see a movie was just what every student at Kentucky Wesleyan College needed. Luckily for the student body, the Midnight Movie was the following day on January 23. Arriving at the theater, students were pilling in the front doors, trying to escape the frigid winter air and icy pavement. Upon entering the theater, it was clear that people were going to have to fight for decent seats.

The most recent Midnight Movie provided a nearly packed house at Malco Theaters. After voting between Dirty Grandpa, The 5th Wave, The Boy, The Forest, or Ride Along 2, the majority of the student body selected Ride Along 2, with Kevin Hart and Ice Cub back in the second installment of Ride Along. With the gloomy days of dealing with snow, ice, and piercing wind, a comedic movie was just the answer to cheering up the students. Throughout the film, the theater erupted with laughter and awe constantly thanks to Kevin Hart and Ice Cube’s dynamic relationship.

In the first Ride Along, Hart’s character, Ben Barber, a security guard, is desperately trying to prove himself and impress his girlfriend’s brother, Ice Cube’s character, James Payton, who happens to be the top police officer. In an attempt to impress James, Ben rides along with James on a 24-hour patrol of Atlanta (IMDb).

After watching the first movie, it was hard to predict what the duo could possibly do to make the second one even bigger and funnier. With the generalization that sequels tend to not do as well as the original film, the pressure to deliver a sequel that could do even better than its original film was immense. In a fashion that only Hart and Cube could pull off, they did just that, creating a funnier, more intense, and more relatable second film.

In Ride Along 2, Ben Barber (Hart) is anxiously awaiting his wedding day when Ben’s future brother-in-law James Payton (Cube) enlists his help in bringing down a “drug dealer who’s supplying the dealers of Atlanta with product” (IMDb).

When asked about what she thought of the movie and their experience at the midnight movie, Audrey Baysinger responded, “I thought it was a good movie, and I thought it was funny. It was good to see the support for the organization that held it.” It was clear that hosting a midnight movie was one of the many ways to get the students of KWC to come together and spend some time together. It was refreshing to see everyone come together and bond over something so simple as a movie.”

Now, the students of KWC will have to wait until the next Midnight Movie. What will be the choices? Do you have any recommendations?