Best Football Game of the Season

Brian Thomas, Sports Reporter

The end of the year is a time for retrospection, when top 10 lists of the year’s best show up all over the internet. When looking back at all the games of the 2015 Panther football season, one of the best happened on Halloween.

It was a lot of excitement this Halloween in Steele Stadium as the Panthers scared away Alfred State. The ending score showed the Panthers’ victory of 69-8. At the start the game, Terrence Brooks (aka Gamble) went to the end zone as he put the Panthers up 7-0. But Alfred State answered by taking the lead as they got a treat in their bucket and brought the score to 7-8 with Alfred State leading. That was the only treat they will received during the game because the Panthers’ defense shut them down, allowing Alfred State only 123 yards on offense.

Dalton Oliver hooked up with Keelan Cole on a 72-yard touchdown pass to put Kentucky Wesleyan back in front at 14-8. The Oliver-Cole combination continued later on in the quarter with a 26-yard touchdown pass to extend the Panthers’ lead to 13. Kentucky Wesleyan would score three more touchdowns in the quarter, with two rushing scores from Dylan Byrd and Darius Chandler, and a receiving touchdown from Xavier Mitchell from twelve yards out to extend the lead to 42-8 at halftime.

The Panthers would do the rest of their damage early in the third quarter. On their first two possessions, they scored two touchdowns. Travion Tucker scored off a 37-yard-pass from Oliver, and Trey Beets would score off a short pass from backup quarterback Eman Westmoreland. Westmoreland would run a touchdown in by himself later in the quarter. Xavier Mitchell scored the final touchdown of the game on a 55-yard punt return to make the score 69-8.

Dalton Oliver made good use of his short time on the field with 288 yards passing and four touchdown throws. Keelan Cole also saw limited action but still put up 145 receptions yards along with two scores. Travion Tucker put together 97 receiving yards too. Twelve Panthers had at least one rushing attempt throughout the game.

The Panthers rushed for 173 yards in the game, and held the Alfred State to just 75 yards. Kentucky Wesleyan achieved over 500 yards of total offense, while Alfred State managed 123 yards. The Panthers defense also held Alfred State to 48 passing yards.

In a strong season, the Halloween game against Alfred State will be remembered as a highlight.