Wear Black to the Homecoming Game

Darius Chandler, Features Writer

The Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers have finally ended their five game road trip to establishments such as Murray State, Limestone Delta State, Central State, and Davidson. They are now playing their second home game of the year on October 24, 2015 and expecting a packed house against visiting opponent Louisiana College.

The football team is going into a bounce back week after losing in an overtime thriller to Davidson College that went down to the wire. The Panthers scored only seven points, losing another game in a crunch time situation. The Panthers defense was stout and allowed only 7 points up until overtime, where they gave up their second touchdown of the day, and the game was ended off of a Dalton Oliver interception.

The Panthers gave a beating in an exhibition match against the University of God’s Chosen after the loss to Davidson, where the Panthers showed spurts of their high powered offense with 120 rushing yards and 330 passing yards. The defense matched the offense’s effort with a shutout which resulted in a 42-0 win for the Panthers, giving them their second win of the season.

Dalton Oliver led the passing attack completing 10 of his 14 passes and throwing for 4 touchdowns with no interceptions, Oliver finished the game with 264 yards. Keelan Cole was the leader on the receiving end with five catches for a 174 yards and two touchdowns with the longest being a 58 yard catch and run. Xavier Mitchell followed with four receptions for 98 yards and a touchdown right alongside with Terrance Brooks who also had a receiving touchdown. Dylan Byrd was the rushing leader with 31 yards off of five attempts but, rushing touchdowns came from both David White and LaDon Laney.

There is a lot of hype going into this game, due to the fact that it is homecoming week at Kentucky Wesleyan where Alumni have been traveling in all week to participate in the action packed week, leading up to the main event, the football game Saturday afternoon.

Due to the special occasion, there will be a blackout for this weekend’s game. The Panthers would like every one attending the game this week to wear black with them as they go into battle against the Wildcats and display their brand new black jerseys for the first time.

The Panthers now have two wins and four loses on the season and look to start a two game win streak this week. The Panthers have three more home games following this weekend’s game in hopes to match last year’s effort in protecting home turf.

The Panthers have an opportunity to match the schools best record with seven wins and four loses for the second year in a row. The coaching staff has done a great job to return as many players as they did on top of a great recruiting class and has been screaming with success since August.

The players on the team plan to dominate the game from start to finish and impose their will on both sides of the ball. Coach Holsclaw has been very passionate about this week’s game and has been preaching the message F.A.M.I.L.Y, which stands for, “Forget About Me I Love You.” If the players keep that message in their hearts as well as their heads the plan to give the fans something to cheer for and walk away with a victory.

Kickoff is set to begin at 1 o’clock central time, and remember that it is a blackout, so wear black and GO Panthers.