You Cannot Be Successful Without Unity

Dominique Caminos, Features Editor

College is made for individuals to find themselves. In order for a person to do that, he or she needs to be able to explore and see what is all out there. At the end of last year, I was excited to receive an email from Louise Clausen asking for all presidents of every organization to come together.

It is natural for cliques to happen. Most of the time people go to the people or environments that they are used to or more comfortable with. A lot of people do not like going out of their comfort zones. However, to be successful in life you have to have an open mind to other people and environments. What better way to do that at Kentucky Wesleyan College than to bring all the different groups of people together and create a big social event for the whole student body?

Every organization is different and brings its own things to the table; however, when every group is separated from the others, it is hard for students to see what else is being offered.

Unity is so important, especially in this day of age. It is natural for us to judge or automatically turn an opportunity down based on assumptions; however, KWC is a very small school, and we want every student to feel welcomed no matter how they look, where they are from, or what organization they are interested in. Just because this person is a Sigma, it doesn’t mean that he or she cannot hangout with the Black Student Union.

Speaking of the Black Student Union, I am the current president of the organization, and only once have we had a Caucasian join our organization. This just shows that we live in a world where culture and differences does not matter anymore. It was so exciting seeing someone of a different culture join the organization. He even said he wants to be president of this organization one day, which is not impossible.

Another reason why it is important that we unite together here on campus is because we are a small school, which means there is not much for us to do. A lot of our organizations struggle financially, and it is hard for one organization to host an event and most people that attend the events are friends of the member and/or members. Therefore, we have to ask ourselves, “How can we get everyone’s attentions?”

No one should want to leave anyone out, right? Which is why I feel that if all the organizations together then there can be more events and more people attending the events.

Unfortunately, we were unable to get the first event together with all the organizations. However, there are meetings that are still in place to make sure it does happen. It makes me excited because that should be The Wesleyan Way.

Segregation, even voluntary segregation where people only partner with people from the same backgrounds that they come from, should not happen at KWC. This should be a place where everyone gets to explore different cultures and different environments. It may be weird at first having everyone together, but it will be more beneficial for everyone in the future. So much more will be done around here.

I am excited for the change this year. I am excited for the new willingness to come together. I wonder how things will turn out, but I hope things turn out great. The first event will be awesome. Just imagine the whole student body coming together. Wouldn’t that be a beautiful thing?