Let’s Talk about the Black Student Union

Dominique Caminos, Features Editor

The Black Student Union, also known as BSU, was recently reactivated in 2014. A group of students, including myself (president of BSU), came together and decided that it was time to bring some more options to Kentucky Wesleyan College. Luckily, with the support of the staff members, alumni, and the Owensboro community, we were able to achieve a lot of things in 2014-2015.

We knew that someone had to get the ball rolling in order for us to achieve the goals that we had. Therefore, I stayed in Owensboro for the summer and devoted to create a set foundation for the BSU in the upcoming semester of Fall 2014. During this time, I was able to get the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), the Black Expo, the Human Relations Commission of Owensboro, and Alumni of KWC to partner us with us. They were interested in making sure that we would become success academically and ensure we felt comfortable in our environment. Therefore, they gave us all the opportunities possible to help us get to the next level.

We have volunteered at banquets for the NAACP and the Human Relations. There we were able to meet important people such as the president/ director of both organizations, governors, electors, and more. We learned how to present ourselves in a business manner and it gave us a chance to network. We also grew close to an alumni named Michael Wade who donated $1400 to the BSU. That money went towards two scholarships, one that was $1000 and another that was $200, and the rest went to helping us host awesome events. We hosted two parties at KWC and had a big end