Wilson’s Weather Forecast

Just when we have a perfect, late summer, 70 degree day, it’s soon followed by the sizzling of mid-summer. The biggest problem with a hot, sizzling day in Owensboro is that there is an absence of breeze. The hot, humid air just smothers us. The question is, when will it end?

Taking my grandmother’s advice, I consulted something called the Old Farmer’s Almanac. I was surprised to find out that they have a pretty impressive record of correct predictions. I’m not sure how they do it, but this is what they’ve predicted for the next two months.

For the month of September, they’re predicting an average temperature of 71 degrees, 4 degrees above normal, but with precipitation being below average.  For the first two weeks of this month, they nailed it. Thunderstorms the first week before cooling off and sunny skies. The second week was predicted as sunny and hot. For the third week, more scattered thunder storms and heat are predicted. Week four shows more scattered showers, followed by sunny skies. The end of the month will see more thunderstorms before warming back up again.

The Almanac’s prediction of October looks similar to September’s weather. October too, will be above average. They’re predicting an average temperature of 60 degrees, which is 3 degrees above average with below average precipitation. The first week will be sunny and warm with scattered thunderstorms. Sun and chills are predicted for week two. The third week will begin with rain before becoming sunny and nice. The last two weeks will begin with rainy periods then end by being mild, sunny, and cool.

So do all of these warm, sunny days mean that September and October will qualify as an “Indian Summer?” The answer is no.  According the Almanac, an “Indian Summer” technically occurs between November 11th and November 20th. And for the weather to be “officially” classified as “Indian Summer” the following must occur:

• windless, warm weather with a “hazy or smoky” atmosphere and “clear and chilly” nights
  • cold weather, with a “hard frost” will then follow the warm days

It’s not clear as to why it’s referred to as “Indian Summer”, but it might have something to do with the Native Americans, the early colonists in New England, and their early conflicts.

I wouldn’t plan a vacation around this information, due to the prediction not being very specific, but it will be fun to see how close they are to their predictions.