Prowling Panthers

Darius Chandler, Sports Editor

The Kentucky Wesleyan Football Team is coming off of one of their best years since 1999, when they went 7-4. The team looks on to this upcoming season, looking nowhere but up. They even have the privilege to return 20 seniors.

The football team is fortunate in having plenty of talent and potential this year with rising stars. Keelan Cole, a pre-season and all American, coming off of his best season. He led Division II with receiving touchdowns with 21, receiving yards with 1,516, and average receiving yards per game with 137.8.

Also returning this season is star receiver Xavier Mitchell, who finished the season with 63 catches. He was even number 14 in the nation with 1,152 yards, 18 yards per catch, and 9 touchdowns. Mitchell was also a big factor on special teams, hauling in 10 kick returns for 328 yards averaging 32 yards per return.

Dalton Oliver, 5th year senior and starting Quarterback, led the Panthers to one of their best passing offenses in Division II. Oliver threw 3,510 yards, averaging 319 yards a game, with 35 touchdowns on the season and completing 59 percent of his passes.

On the defensive side returning is senior linebacker Cody Mills, who led the team with 83 tackles, 13 tackles for loss and tied with defensive end Micah Crutcher with 5.5 sacks.

In the Secondary is senior Tyler Herman, was one of the top in the nation with 7 interceptions for 98 yards, 43 tackles, and 3.5 tackles for loss.

Entering his 13th year as Head Coach, Coach Brent Holsclaw could not be in a better position to keep the momentum going. Coming off of one of the biggest turnarounds in college football, Coach Holsclaw continues to push towards his goal. He aims to not only produce excellent football players, but to help them grow and become better young men in the process.

The Panthers come into the 2015 season with the strength that can place them into their post season, if executed correctly. Competing with top Division II teams with the caliber of Delta State will, without a doubt, give the Panthers a great chance to see their post season.

The Prowling Panthers are coming off of a devastating 52-12 loss to Division I team Murray State. Their first touchdown did not take place until late 3rd quarter on a 76 yard pass and run from Dalton Oliver to Travion Tucker.

Now on the road for the second week in a row, the panthers are determined to bounce back against Limestone College. The battle taking place in Gaffney, South Carolina, Saturday September 12, 2015 at noon central time.

Last year, the Panthers defeated Limestone at home on November 1st, 2014, where the game came down to the wire with a score 43-41

The Panthers will be on the road for the next 3 weeks, where they will travel to Cleveland, MS to face off with Delta State, followed by a match-up with Central State in Wilberforce OH, and finishing off the road trip in Davidson, North Carolina to play Davidson College on October 10th.

The Panthers will have their first home game on October 17th at one in the afternoon against the University of God’s Chosen. Until then, stay tuned on kwcpanthers.com and look for live broadcasts or streams by radio.