New Football Season Begins

Micah Preston, Sports Writer

Football season is here and it is something to be excited about, despite the 52-12 loss to D1 School Murray State University in the season opener on September 3rd. The Panthers will be taking on two more Division 1 teams in their season and would be very happy to be able to shock one of those teams with an upset. Senior Wide Receiver Xavier Mitchell, who also ended last season as the number 6 receiver in the nation, had 9 receptions for 77 yards against the Racers. After the game he had this to say, “ Losing was definitely disappointing, even though we lost a ton we still had a lot of positives that came out of it. Losing really humbles you so this week the team focus was at an all time high, and I think everybody is ready to get back out there this week and get that bad taste out of our mouths.”

His running mate on the other side of the field, Keelan Cole, who was ranked the number 1 receiver in the nation and the end of last season, had a rough time getting the ball thrown his way in the loss against the Racers. However he is still excited for the season. The Panthers had the 5th ranked passing offense in the nation last season and would like to aim higher and to have another good season, as they went 7-3 last year with that being the turn around season after they went winless the year before that going 0-10. They seem to be headed in the right direction even though last weeks score does not show it, the offense and defense showed nice flashes that they will be able to compete very well in the Division 2 level.

Dalton Oliver threw for 204 yards and a 76-yard touchdown pass to Travion Tucker in Kentucky Wesleyan’s 52-12 season opening loss at Murray State on Thursday night. Oliver connected on 14 of 29 passes with no picks. David White rushed 17 times for 39 yards, Lindsey had six carries for 26 yards and Brooks ran six times for 17 yards.

The Panthers (0-1) had 352 yards in total offense including 257 passing and 95 rushing. The Racers (1-0) compiled 578 yards in total offense with 387 passing and 191 rushing. Limestone College, the team KWC will be playing on the 12th, won their first game of the season with a shut out against their opponent 69-0. Redshirt-freshman Ga’Quan Maize rushed for 110 yards and three touchdowns on 11 carries. Redshirt-sophomore Daitwain Commodore added three rushing touchdowns as the Limestone College football team posted a dominating 69-0 win over College of Faith.

The Panthers don’t open their first home game until October 17th against the University of God’s Chosen. To pick up your season tickets all you have to do is go to the school’s athletic website and order them. Also remember that children get in free, so bring the whole family out to enjoy a great game at Steele Stadium. If you would like to see your panthers play when they have an away game, go to the athletic website and go to the football schedule. There will be a live stream option so you can cheer and show your school spirit as you cheer on your KWC Panthers. GO PANTHERS!!!