Baseball Fighting the Grind

Mike Hellmueller, Managing Editor

This season has been a test for the Panthers as they have had to incorporate lots of new faces on the mound. They have been searching for that mix for the pitchers and hitters to be going on the same wave length. The team has still been winning games, but they have been unable to get on a long winning streak like they had hoped.
Following the sweep of Kentucky State, the Panthers traveled to Cedarville for a four game set during the week. Even though the games had been pushed back due to weather, the Panthers were looking for a series win against the Yellowjackets. After dropping game one, the Panthers would win games two and three before losing in the series finale in a slugfest 10-12. The conference rules dictate even though the teams split the four games, they would lose the series because they fell in game one. Senior Chad Klein said, “Even though we didn’t win the series and we felt like we gave a game away, this team got closer together and learned that they must fight through adversity no matter what.”
Licking their wounds from Cedarville, the Panthers would finally get to play a home game at Panther Park when they welcomed the Battlers of Alderson Broaddus to town. They would come out game one with a purpose and win the game 19-0 behind an 18 strikeout no-hit performance from senior Matt Pobereyko. However, this series would be the exact opposite of the previous as the Panthers dropped the next two games before winning the finale and the series. Poberekyo had this to say, “The game I pitched was truly something I will never forget, but as a team we have to find a way to win two games in a row and stay focused enough to do that.”
The team was headed to the second half of their G-MAC schedule as they were headed to Ohio Valley University for a four game set. This would prove to be the junior John Eberhardt show as he banged out five homers over the weekend, but he did hit three in game one. However, the team again won game one in grand fashion only to see the next game slip away. The guys did come back on the second day and capture both games. Eberhardt had these words following the series, “We must find a way to get tougher in the second game after we beat a team. We have the chance to demoralize the other team, but just give them life by allowing them to hang around. We just have to be better.”
The team would head into a conference bye week by playing old GLVC foe the University of Indianapolis and longtime foe Oakland City University. The Panthers would grind out a huge win against Indianapolis before winning three out of four against Oakland City. Senior Kyle Emig however was not satisfied, “We had no business losing to Oakland City. That game will be a huge disappointment for us and we have to learn from that mistake. We must be stronger mentally and physically these last two weeks before the conference tournament if we want to make any noise.”
The Panthers will play Bellarmine April 21st before taking on Salem International for Senior Weekend. Once those games are competed, they will take on University of Missouri-St.Louis, USI, and Davis and Elkins before their conference tournament begins.