Softball Dashes for the Top

Mike Hellmueller, Managing Editor

Gaining momentum is huge for sports because it allows the team that is winning to feel invincible. That feeling of superiority is huge because of the mental aspect of the game.
The Kentucky Wesleyan softball team was feeling just that way after the Salem International series. The team won nine more games in a row before falling to Trevecca Nazarene.
The ladies did it by winning close games and winning blowouts to climb into a tie with Trevecca for first place in the conference. After splitting the first day with Trevecca, they would be playing them back at Foster Field for a chance to grab first place outright.
After battling the Trojans for two hard-fought games, the Panthers fell two times and currently are second place in the G-MAC. The Panthers would have to have a quick turnaround because they would be taking on the Cedarville Yellowjackets in a four game set.
On day one, the Panthers were challenged early and faced a 2-0 deficit. Then junior Kaci Ovelgoenner homered to tie the game at two. Unfortunately, that home run would prove to be the only offense the Panthers could muster as they fell to the Yellowjackets 2-4.
The second game would prove to be different as senior Amber Pendergraft would get the scoring going early for the Panthers with an RBI single to grab a 1-0 lead in the second inning. After Cedarville tied the game in the bottom half of the 4th, the Panthers would explode for four runs in the top half of the 5th. Sophomore Jessica Carmon would get an RBI hit-by-pitch, freshman Jaclyn Parker would ground into an RBI fielder’s choice, and then freshman Courtney Lockwood would double to center scoring two more runs and giving the Panthers a 5-1 lead. Parker would add another RBI and the Panthers would be victorious 6-3.
Day number two would be another challenge for the ladies. The first game they were challenged early after Ovelgoenner scored a run via the throwing error, Cedarville hammered out three runs in the bottom of the 1st. Senior Ashley Crooke and Parker would tie the game following their RBI double and single respectively. After letting the lead slip, junior Kayla Norris would tie it up again at four with a late RBI single. However, it would not be in the cards for them to win as they fell 5-4.
The final game would be the junior Mackenzie Weedman show early as she had two RBI hits in the 1st and 3rd inning. Then Norris and Lockwood would get an RBI themselves and the Panthers senior Josalyn Ress on the mound only allowed one run as the Panthers would win 4-1.
The Panthers will finish their season up with two series against Alderson Broaddus and Davis and Elkins for senior day. The ladies are looking to set themselves up for a run at the conference championship outright, but if they have to settle for the tournament title they will be just fine.