Much Anticipated Return of K-Dub Idol!

Wilson Buckner, Features Editor

American Idol has been a television hit for several years, and for the past several years Kentucky Wesleyan College has created its own version. Known belovedly as K-Dub Idol, it has become one of the most eagerly anticipated annual campus events. Wesleyan has an abundance of talent just waiting to be discovered. On all but one Tuesday nights in February, K-Dub Idol once again showcased more undiscovered talent. According the SAPB executive director, Riley Thompson, the exceptional performances by Kaelin Hildreath, Sarah-Nell Hibbs, Josh Vance, Lucas Butler and Madison weber, Philip Carter, Katie Black and Dylan Jeffrey were announced as the First Round Winners.
Crowd favorites were Philip Carter’s moving rendition Luther Vandross’ “Dance with My Father.” Lucas Butler and Madison Weber had the audience on their feet with One Republic’s “Love Runs Out.”

Strong performances also saved other acts, allowing them to return to the next round. Isreal Washington, Coty Mills, and Emmanuel Westmoreland thrilled the audience with their own mix. Haley Kauffman wowed the crowd with the performance of the Mark Ronson-Bruno Mars hit, “Uptown Funk.” Jamie Buchanan did an amazing job, despite technical difficulties, with the hit song “Let it Go” from the Disney movie “Frozen.” Monica Pentecost with her performance of “Mercy Me” and Kat Detloff’s performance of “One and Only” earned another chance in the competition’s next round.

During the next two weeks of competition, all but one act was eliminated. In the end, Phillip Carter came in third, Sarah-Nell Hibbs came in second, and Katie Black and Dylan Jeffrey were named K-Dub Idol for 2015.

What makes K-Dub Idol so popular with the Wesleyan students is that the performances are more than just singing. Students and faculty alike are entertained and amazed by all forms of entertainment, including dancing or in acts like Isreal Washington, Coty Mills, and Emmanuel Westmoreland, creating their own musical mix for their performance.

Not only is new talent discovered and audiences thoroughly entertained by acts that range from amusing to amazing, the event is also a huge fundraiser. Since K-Dub Idol’s beginnings, K.W.C’s Greek organizations that sponsor the event have donated all event proceeds to St. Jude’s Hospital for Children. The entire campus supported a worthy cause and cheered on their classmates.