Wesleyan Basketball

Micah Preston, Sports Editor

The basketball program is coming down the stretch of the basketball regular season, and both men’s and women’s teams have great hopes of hosting the Great Midwest Athletic Conference. The men stand at a 17-6 overall record and 6-3 while stealing first place away after this Thursday night taking down the previous first place leader in the conference in Central State University. The Lady Panthers are tied at second place with rival Trevecca Nazarene behind Cedarville University by just a single loss. The Lady Panthers and the men’s team both take will be taking on Cedarville University where the Lady Panthers will try to take their first place spots.

It will help to have a little recap of both teams whole season, starting with the men’s basketball squad and how they got to where they are now. The men’s team started off the season a little shaky with a 4-3 start to the season due to struggling with everybody getting acquainted with each other. After that they were on a head of steam with a nine game winning streak, including winning a big Christmas Tournament hosted by Quincy University. Going into conference play, they hit the road to take on Cedarville University and Central State University where they ran into an unpleasant road trip, losing both games and bringing you up to last night when the men’s team hosted Marauders of Central State and won and have been on a 4-3 stretch once again. Hopefully the men’s basketball team can get on a roll and when their remaining five games of the season to be able to host the Great Midwest Athletic Conference starting on March 15.
The Lady Panthers also started off the season badly with four straight losses while they were trying to show their freshman class the ropes with only one senior, two juniors, and four sophomores.

After the bad stretch the Lady Panthers went on a six game winning streak of their own, trying to make a statement that they were still here to fight. Their streak was ended taking a loss to RV Carson Newman at home, then going on a 2-2 stretch, and then hit another surge to get to this point by hosting and beating the Lady Marauders this past Thursday, extending another stretch of six wins and one loss. If the Lady Panthers have any hope of hosting their Great Midwest Athletic Conference, they have to win their last five games.

Junior forward Jade Mills-Harris for the Lady Panthers had this to say about her Lady Panthers: “Everything is going very well right now, our defense is really picking up and were starting to communicate very well, and I can’t wait to play to tie for first place against Cedarville University on Saturday for on Valentine’s Day.”

“To be a defensive player, everybody looks to me to be that aggressive player on defense every game and I pride myself on that because our defense is what’s going to get us through,” Mills-Harris said when asked how she felt her leadership has changed this year being a vet on the team.

As you can see even though both programs have a lot of new faces on their teams, both teams have come very well together and are looking to make history by both teams hosting both conference championship together at the same time. So please check your calendars as the Lady Panthers and the men’s team both have three home games left in the season so please come out and show your school spirit and show a lot of support as they try to make history.