Wesleyan Tradition: Hanging of the Greens

Jack Kiely, Features Editor

Kentucky Wesleyan College has been around for over 150 years, and with that length of operation it has generated an abundance of traditions. Kentucky Wesleyan College’s Hanging of the Greens is something that has been celebrated on campus for many years now. It is the holiday get-together to share in the community and joyful spirit of the college and its joyous tone.

The Hanging of the Greens is sponsored by the Student Activity Programing Board (SAPB). SAPB is a group managed under the Student Life Office that helps to bring many fun activities and events to the college. They also have a committee that is tasked with keeping up the traditions of Kentucky Wesleyan. This year they have already sponsored the Fall Family Weekend and Homecoming weekend. After sponsoring Hanging of the Greens, they are also responsible with bringing the student body the Old South Ball in the spring. This year SAPB decided to hold the Hanging of the Greens a little sooner this year so that the students could have a longer period of time to enjoy the holiday decorations.

The Hanging of the Greens is where all of the Kentucky Wesleyan students are invited to help decorate the Winchester Center for the upcoming season. It was lovely this year, as it had an expected wonderful turnout of students enjoying themselves. During this event, hot chocolate and cookies are provided to everyone for free. Pastor Kent Lewis reads the Christmas Story, and the members of SAPB decorate the large tree that sits in the middle of the rotunda. This year members of the Kentucky Wesleyan Choir sang Christmas carols to really give the sense of joy and warmth. Every contribution that was given really helped to make this event special. The event lasts for only a couple of hours and invites anyone to come and mingle.

Every year, there is also a Christmas tree decorating contest that is held in the Smith Lounge. Different on campus organizations are invited to bring their own tree and display it however they feel represents their group. For example the Resident Life tree was decorated in socks that were found leftover in the dryers of the dorms while Sigma Nu fraternity brought their annual “Silent Knight,” a metal knight that they decorate in Christmas lights. The winners of the competition are given an amount of money that they can donate to any charity of their choice. This year’s winners were the Singers’, the Cheerleaders, and the Educational Department. The trees have remained on display for the rest of the semester.

The response from the student body on the Hanging of the Greens was an overly positive one. Many people have spoken highly of how they thought that it went. Tom Norris, a senior business major, was quoted, “I love going to Hanging of the Greens. It really is one of my favorite parts of the year. I can’t believe how it just keeps getting better year after year. Going to the event, I truly feel like an important part of the campus community.” Tom isn’t the only person that feels this way. Anyone can feel the warmth and excitement just passing through the student center.

With the semester coming to an end, Kentucky Wesleyan is lucky to have such a great spirit as the students head home to be with their families. Christmas is just around the corner, and no student needs to be reminded to have a relaxing break ahead of them.