Wesleyan Hosts Fall Family Weekend

Linda Albrecht, Features Editor

October 3rd, 4th, and 5th made a very exciting weekend at Kentucky Wesleyan College. That weekend marked the fun and busy Family Weekend for KWC. Families of students were welcomed to campus for the event-packed weekend, and younger siblings were invited to stay on campus. The siblings were allowed spend the night with their brother or sister of the same gender in the residence halls. However, siblings of the opposite gender were allowed to “camp out” with RAs in Peeples Hall for girls and Massie Hall for boys.

The weekend kicked off at 5 p.m. on Friday with the Panthers in the Yard event. This event was likened to an old fashioned grill out and was held on the patio of the President’s home. This kick-off was a great opportunity for families to meet Wesleyan’s brand new president, Bart Darrell.

Just a few hours after this kick-off event came the Ice Cream Social & Registration. This event was held in Jazzman’s, and the first 50 families that came to register for the weekend received a free KWC fleece blanket. By registering at the ice cream social, families also made themselves eligible for the countless door prizes that were given away throughout the weekend.

Following registration, the volleyball team kicked off the first of many sporting events of the weekend as it squared off against conference opponent, Cedarville University. The first 40 students to attend the game received a free KWC volleyball shirt. As the Panthers spiked, set, and scored a victory over Cedarville, families received a few of the door prizes through a raffle.

Friday’s festivities ended with “Name that Tune” in the chapel. Much like the Think Fast Game Show KWC hosted during our KW1101 program, this game show awarded cash prizes to the winning participants. Two person teams competed for 4 rounds.  The top two teams matched up in the finals with the winning team earning $100, and other cash prizes will be awarded throughout the event.  Students were welcome to compete with their family members or other students.

Saturday started off at 10 a.m. with a meet=and-greet with KWC faculty and staff in Jazzmans. This was directly followed by multiple events at 11 a.m. There was an Inflatables event, which offered fun activities for all ages, Kappa Delta also hosted a Tailgate Party in front of Steel Stadium before the football team’s 1 p.m. kick-off, and the KWC volleyball team played and won their second conference match of the weekend against Central State.

Even more athletic events filled the rest of the afternoon. Baseball played their last game in their Purple/Black Series, in which the varsity team split into two teams that played each other. Men’s soccer played Alderson-Broaddus at noon , and women’s soccer team played after at 2:30.

Alpha Omicron Pi met after the events for the day for a Parent’s Day dinner at Roger’s in the evening. Junior Haleigh Stinger thought the Parent’s Day Dinner was great. “My family loved coming to the AOII Parent’s Day because it gave them a chance to learn about what we do as a sorority and they got to meet the people I spend most of my time with,” she said. One of the last events of the evening was a showing of the movie Maleficent.

Sunday was a shorter day with an 11 a.m. worship service at Wesleyan Heights United Methodist Church. Junior varsity baseball played the Evansville Razorbacks at noon, and the afternoon ended with David Baxter and Aaron Eaves’ junior music recital at 3 p.m.

Dean Kramer thought the weekend was a success. “I thought the Fall Family Weekend went great!” he said. “I was very pleased with the number of families who attended and participated in our campus events.” He continued, “fifty families received fleece blankets and 12 other families were awarded gift cards. Every KWC athletic team won their games on Saturday, and all had a good time.  I definitely feel we will continue this activity in the future and look forward to growing the event more each year.”