The Perfect Roasted Marshmallow

Karyn Williams, Staff Writer

Just in case anyone hasn’t heard, we have a brand new fire pit on campus.  It was a gift from the graduating class of 2020 and is available for use by reservation only.  On that note, the only reason you would want to use the fire pit is obviously to make s’mores. This also means getting into arguments with your friends about where to stick the marshmallow, how many times to turn it, no don’t put it directly in the flames – great, now it’s on fire, blow it out before it starts another fire, now you dropped it on the ground and have to start all over.  Of course, not everyone likes their marshmallows toasted the same way.  I like mine gooey but with a crispy, burnt exterior; my best friend likes hers gooey and perfectly brown; my sister likes hers just barely cooked.  Toasted marshmallows exist on a spectrum and wherever you happen to fall on that spectrum isn’t of any real importance.  It’s how you get there that matters.

The first step to making your perfect marshmallow is to know where in the fire to roast.  If you want your marshmallow melty and ooey gooey, you shouldn’t stick it directly into the flames, but near the red hot coals of the logs.  That’s where most of your direct heat is going to be, and you can control the amount of color it gets too, since there won’t be any flames nearby to catch it on fire.  It’s best to roast the marshmallow until it just starts to droop.

If you stick the marshmallow just above the fire so the flames can lick at it, you’ll get a warm nicely toasted marshmallow.  Although it won’t be very melted and will take a while to cook.

If you like them straight up burnt then stick that bad boy right into the fire and watch it go up in flames (burn baby, burn).  Just blow it off quickly before it winds up scorched.  Burnt is still good, scorched is inedible.

However you like your marshmallows, I hope this short guide will keep you and your friends making perfect s’mores every time instead of roasting each other over an open fire.