Fall Semester Balancing Act

La'Darius Dunn, Staff Writer

Here is the time that most people have been waiting for, well most freshman. Simply because they feel like this will be a better experience than they had in high school because of the little things that they hear about a college atmosphere. The most important thing about the first fall season for all freshman is that the first semester is always the semester that either “makes you or breaks you”. In the midst of everything that goes on during the fall semester, such as all types of sports events, little parties that most college students choose to attend 90% of the time, or some fun events on campus. It’s easy to get off task or lose yourself in the first semester because of this. Balancing out your life is one of the most complicated things to handle while in college.

One could make it easy on themselves by staying organized. This is the most lacked skill but the one skill that could help you tremendously. It’s easy to forget something important that you had to do but if you write it down somewhere it’s always going to be there. During the school year, I use my planner religiously to track my classes, assignments, and social plans. It also helps to discipline yourself. One thing I like to do that most people should do is have a rule: if you write it down or say you’re going to do it by a certain date, get it done! That way, your planner is more than a helpful reminder of what you could have accomplished today: it’s an actual guide to what you will be doing. Procrastination is a killer and the number one reason for the failure of students during their semester. It takes commitment to establish good work and study habits, but it’s achievable, and the payout is worth it.

Managing your time is another big factor that could lead up to the determination of your success. The lack of all of these tips could make college way harder than it actually has to be. Good time management allows you to have chances to finish things a little ahead of time, instead of waiting until the last minute then ending up having to rush the assignment so it won’t be done to the best of your ability. Having good time management, on the other hand, Good time management means that horrible paper you have to write gets done in a reasonable amount of time with relatively little stress. It’s a much better approach than facing a panic attack the night before a deadline. Good time management means you get your assignments in on time and get a little sleep the night before they’re due. The sooner you can get a handle on managing your time, though, the better.  Time management also goes along with planning your time out well so that you won’t miss an 8 AM class after a night of partying or just a night out. It’s tempting after a night of partying to skip class. It’s always fun to go out, but from experience I could tell a freshman that sleep is nice. When it’s time to wake up for some reason your alarm clock always seems like it’s working against you. Remember, you’re paying for every class, even if you aren’t going. Plus, grades often are tied to attendance, so don’t risk your academic success by skipping.