The “Finals” Countdown

Bailey Woodall, Staff Writer

The most evil time of the year is approaching on campus for Kentucky Wesleyan
College. It’s not summer break, even though that is very close. Finals week is here. Students are
finishing their last days of classes and hustling to get last minute papers, projects, or assignments
done. Some students are rushing to do all three. Hey, no judgement here though. Finals week is a
matter of five days that can destroy three months of work or save some grades. It all depends.

My advice from a fellow college student to another, don’t stress it.

I know that is easier said than done but I mean it. Stress can cause unnecessary mental
farts. Students work themselves up so much over finals that they don’t take care of themselves.
The main thing that needs to be done during finals week is to take care of yourself. Eat the right
foods. Drink plenty of water. Sleep a full eight hours. Also, take brain breaks. Studying in the
library without stopping for six hours will be a lot easier if you go outside and just breathe for a
few minutes. Give yourself a break. Your brain will appreciate it and so will your mental health.

One of the most important things is sleep. Your brain doesn’t function properly if it’s
exhausted. All of the information that’s being studied doesn’t get retained as well when you’re
lacking sleep. Also, notice how it’s hard to focus when you’re exhausted? Studying while tired is
pointless. Start studying earlier so you can leave the library earlier. Go to bed before midnight
and don’t try to pull an all-nighter the night before an exam. You’ll be bound to crash if you do.

I feel like students over study and over work themselves during finals week to the point
of doing worse than they expected. Taking care of yourself is the most important part of getting
through finals week. Take a deep breath and relax. Trust all your hard work from the semester.

You can do it!