The End is Near: Finish Strong

La'Darius Dunn, Staff Writer

Well, well, well, this is what everyone has been waiting for since August 27th. School is close to being over, and most students are looking at it as a blessing, as it couldn’t come fast enough, while some are looking at it as it is coming too fast and they may need more time to pull their grades up. Anything could affect your focus during the spring time of year, such as the weather getting nicer, so there is more opportunity to enjoy the last part of the school year.

It seems that at this time of year, your attention span gets shorter because you’re thinking about everything you’d rather be doing that’s coming up. One can definitely agree that this is one of the most overwhelming times of your life because finals start and deadlines are approaching to turn in incomplete assignments. There is nothing like going into the summer knowing that you finished the semester off strong with no worries.

At this point in the semester, I completely understand that everyone is exhausted from all of the activities that goes on during the year, whether this is with sports or fraternities. There’s also this familiar disease that goes on around this time known as senioritis. This happens to more than just the seniors, as it seems to go for everybody who’s worn out at this part of the semester, just praying they can make it through. The best thing to do around this time for the people that really want to be successful is to try your very best to avoid procrastination. That is one of my biggest problems, and procrastination is hard to overcome, but that’s just something that everyone has to work on. We’ve all heard this a thousand times before, but I’m sure everyone would agree that working on an essay or project for an hour each day is a lot less stressful than jamming it all in in about 12 hours the night before. The work would be much more efficient.

If I could give any advice, it would be to stay strong and finish. It may seem tough right now, but when it’s all over, you will be able to breathe just knowing you got through it. Coming from a semester where I was almost under the required GPA to play the sport that I’m in, to going all the way to a GPA higher than what I even expected, and working even harder to keep it and pull it up even higher, has improved me as a student.

I was taught that there are, of course, going to be minor set backs, but the one who gives up is the one that, in the future, would be praying to have this time of their life back. No one wants to go home to tell their parents that they have to drop out of school, because, even if they might not show it, your parents would be more upset than you. They expect so much out of you, and to hear that you had to leave school because of your grades, when you had the opportunity to change your life and didn’t take advantage…that hurts in a different place.

With all of this going over your head right now, the most important thing is to keep your goals in mind. Remember why you’re here and the career goals you have. Remember that you’re working so hard so that you can be whatever you want to be, whether it be a doctor, lawyer, or engineer. Good luck to everyone in the last couple weeks of the semester. Finish strong!