Started as a Freshman Now I’m Here

La'Darius Dunn, Staff Writer

College is looked at as the best time people go through in life and it definitely is, but it also goes by in the blink of an eye. What people don’t tell you about college is how much you’ll change throughout your years in college. From freshman year to senior year one could say that there would be a drastic change between the two. One will notice the difference in little things like how they talk or even how they listen. The change is usually good because it’s a noticeable growth.

As you get closer and closer to your senior year one would find out how their sleep schedule may change because the same stuff that interested them years before no longer gives them the same entertainment, such as parties. As freshmen, students tend to come to college with a mindset of partying everyday until an eye opener happens with their grades that makes them buckle down a little more. When your senior year has arrived, you will find that those wild parties have lost their appeal because now you’re focused on graduating.

We have all been through those eye openers along the journey. Some people get through those, but unfortunately some people actually have to drop out. Freshman year you might spend extra time thinking about how much sleep you can get through the night but as you approach your senior year, everyone learns how important it is to get sleep during the day after your classes and not during them.

There is also a difference in the way people think as they mature. Thoughts about the future start to occur more often because towards the end of your college career, there’s more to lose. It’s hard thinking from your freshman and sophomore year what you would like to do for the rest of your life but when your junior and senior years come, you start to narrow down your career options a little and put a little more thought into life after college.

You’ll change immensely from your first year to your last year. One thing that’s always guaranteed to change is your group of friends. You often start to realize how important family is. You lose many connections throughout each year but you do learn to value the few friends that stay around. The friends that are by your side by your senior year are the ones that are most likely to be around forever. You start to focus on yourself a lot more than usual, which is always a good thing. Everyone thinks that the friends you meet your freshman year are always going to be there, which they may, but some of them might not.

I’ve noticed small changes in the habits I had as a freshman, like buying school supplies. In your early years you plan to be prepared as possible because you don’t really know what’s ahead of you. In your later years, you start to understand how everything works. You realize that you don’t actually need as many books as you’re used to getting. By the time you hit your senior year, school supplies don’t seem so urgent.

For a freshman, it could definitely be beneficial to hear that in order to be successful in college you have to make a plan. Losing focus can be one of the easiest things to do in college, but it could also be the biggest mistake you make as well.