Recap of 2019 Grammy’s and Oscars

Jonah White, Staff Writer

It’s the beginning of a new year, which means it is time for every music and movie nerds’ favorite set of events. There are plenty of award shows that really show the appreciation of our favorite artists and performers hard work that they displayed throughout all of 2018. The Oscars and the Grammys are definitely at the top of that list and are the most watched award show events of the year. Of course, both of these shows were filled with a bunch of controversy and complaints over the “what should have won” statements, just like almost every year before. As we head into a new year of music, movies, and television shows, let’s go ahead and recap what transpired at the 61st Grammys and the 91st Oscars.

The Grammys this year was actually quite a mess and was certainly nowhere near as good as the years prior. Don’t get me wrong, there were a lot of great artists worth celebrating, but I, along with many others across the nation, viewed the Grammys this year as quite a snooze-fest. Before we get to who won what, let’s take a quick look at what seemed to have gone wrong. First off, the hosting was presented by Alicia Keys. Personally, I did not have a problem with the way that Keys hosted the show this year, and I do not understand why there was so much drama over who was hosting the show, as I think she handled it well. The only point of view I can see if because she was basically just being nice and handing out compliments. That’s great and all, but people usually like it when the hosts are witty and can roast the participants to add a little bit of controversy. Next up, for some strange reason, many of the major artists that were scheduled to perform for the actual ceremony turned the opportunity down. Some of the biggest no shows for a performance on stage were Ariana Grande, Childish Gambino, and Kendrick Lamar. When you’re missing out on your biggest stars, of course your show is going to tank! Outside of the ones missing, the performances this year were actually pretty great. Whether it be Post Malone’s awkward, but catchy collaboration with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dolly Parton’s tribute and collaboration with Miley Cyrus and Kacey Musgraves, Alicia Keys’ medley, Brandi Carlile’s power-ballad, and much more, the Grammys were actually quite impressive this year in that department.

Now of course, there are a lot of awards to go through, but people really are the most excited about the four major awards that they announce at the end of the night, and many questions arose around who won what and why. For Album of the Year, Kacey Musgraves won for her album, Golden Hour, in which she beat out Cardi B, Drake, and Post Malone in which many fans were in an uproar over. Childish Gambino won Record of the Year and Song of the Year with his song This Is America which, coming from a huge Gambino fan, I think it was very well deserved! But, it was a little strange that he was not there in person to accept such a large award. Then lastly, the Best New Artist went to Dua Lipa, who honestly I have never really heard of, but I’ll take the awards word for it.

Now, the Oscars this year were less of a wreck compared to the Grammys, as there was not much controversy wrapped around the award show as a whole. The only thing that really stood out was all of the problems and opinions about them not having a host, but I actually think it went really well. Having no host allowed for a quicker show without all of the cringe-worthy introductions, and they got right to the point with handing out awards. They started the show out with an awesome performance by Adam Lambert and the members of Queen, who did a small tribute to Freddie Mercury. Also, Tina Fey, Maya Rudolph, and Amy Poehler handed out the first award and acted as minor hilarious hostesses, because, I mean, who could hate those three when they’re together? Another big win for the night was obviously Bradley Cooper’s and Lady Gaga’s performance of their song “Shallow” from A Star is Born, and I don’t think America is tired of seeing those two up on stage together at all.

Outside of everything, the Oscars was personally my favorite award show this year, It was a little bland and boring, but at least it wasn’t a total mess. Green Book won the biggest award as Movie of the Year, which was definitely questionable, but I could somewhat agree with that choice. Rami Malek won for Best Actor in a Leading Role, and even though many were against it, I could see why he won for his portrayal of Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody; he’s a hard person to imitate! Then lastly, out of the major awards, Olivia Coleman won an Oscar for Actress in a Leading Role for The Favourite. I also just want to give a shout out to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse for winning animated movie of the year, which was my favorite movie of the year and I recommend it to everyone out there who has not seen it yet!

This year was pretty much a down year for the awards, but there were many great things to remember and celebrate from 2018. Here’s hoping for a great new year full of new music, movies, television shows, and all other types of entertainment that people work so hard on!