Coach Yeast Sets Tone for KWC Football

La'Darius Dunn, Staff Writer

The Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers went through three different coaching changes in a span of two years. The football program experienced many ups and downs in the past few years, and many could argue that there were more downs than ups, going three wins and seven losses for the past two years. First, Brent Hosclaw, who was a great coach and an even better man outside of the game of football, led our team for the past seven years. Although he did such a wonderful job, he decided about mid-June to give it up and make a career change in order to better himself and his family. It certainly threw the entire team off guard.

With us having numerous good coaches in the past, we just added another to that list. There has been a lot of positive talk about our new coach, Craig Yeast, for the seasons to come. From what I have personally seen myself, Coach Yeast is coming in with an entirely different mindset. He is more concerned with academics and getting his players graduated than the actual game of football. This is every coach’s intention, but he is just setting stricter guidelines. He wants the community of Owensboro to see a Kentucky Wesleyan College football player and see a successful young man, not just the athlete that he appears to be.

Along with the academic aspect, he also brings a different mindset to all of our players about hard work and dedication. Coach Yeast played at the University of Kentucky over a decade ago, breaking all of the receiver records that has not been touched since. He also played in the NFL for a number of years. One of his biggest goals that stood out to me in hopes of a better football team is that Yeast coached at Franklin College, a division 3 school in the state of Kentucky, in which he won three back to back championships while coaching. I’m not saying all of this to brag on his accolades of his life. However, it’s nonetheless saying that he knows what he is doing when it comes done to a program, and plenty of people would back me up on that. However, when Coach Yeast couldn’t do it by himself; he brought a staff in that he knows has the same knowledge as him and is on the same page.

A unique staff is the only word I could think of for them. The entire staff has many admirable attributes that show they are the perfect individuals for this tough position. Coach Mills is the assistant coach/academic specialist. He is another key piece to the puzzle that we are trying to build. He is a little older than the rest of the coaches, which is not a bad thing because it just means he has more knowledge of the game from all different standpoints. In the weight training program, they are teaching us how to be mentally tough, so that we know how to overcome many adversities in life that we may face. With coach Yeast’s history and past school’s record, I would not be surprised if Kentucky Wesleyan football team accomplishes some big things this year, both on and off the field.