KWC Football Season Recap

Corey Johnson, Staff Writer

With the Panthers finishing their season two weeks ago, falling to the strong Battlers of Alderson Broadus University, KWC struggled throughout the season competing with a young roster. The Panthers finished their season with a 3-7 record, progressing from the 2017 season with winning just one more game. With Brent Holsclaw resigning from the program in late spring of 2018 before the season started, this put a set-back on the Panthers’ program. The change confused a lot of their players and caught them off guard, which made the Panthers take a couple steps back rather than progressing for the 2018 season. When coach Holsclaw resigned, several members from his coaching staff left with him as well, bringing yet again another negative effect towards the team.

Taking over as Interim Head Coach is Tauren Smith, who has been with the KWC football program for more than four years. Coach Smith started his coaching career at KWC as the Defensive Backs coach, but with moving up and taking the higher position, Smiths’ intentions were to take the KWC football program to another level. However, the results of the season not comparing to his expectations.

Kentucky Wesleyan’s football program still has a lot of growing to do, and the future is bright for these young panthers. The Panthers host a lot of talent all around the board, especially in the primary positions, such as skill. This season, the Panthers spotted several players on the GMAC All-Conference Team, with five of them being under-classmen and two being upper-classmen. These players were Corey Johnson (SO), Jalen Humprey (FR), Alijah McGee (FR), Tayler Sopher (SO), and Kyle Hurt (FR), and the upper-classmen were Jamir Johnson (JR) and Derrick Barnes (SR). For the Panthers to have that many under-classmen to make the All-Conference team, it shows there is a lot of young talent and potential within the program, and this will only continue to grow and become more dominant over the years once the correct coaching staff is in place for the Panthers.

Speaking of the coaching staff, with the Panthers struggling this 2018 season, the athletic administration of Kentucky Wesleyan has opened the position for a new Head Coach for the 2019-2020 season. The school wants to rebuild the football program at Wesleyan, raising the bar high and changing the culture for next season and the years to come. For this to happen, Wesleyan will have to put together an astonishing plan in order to create a winning streak for the football program. Honestly, the young Panthers have what it takes to soar to higher expectations for their next season and over the years. Do you believe in the new Panthers?