Christmastime in Owensboro

Brooke Griffin, Staff Writer

Owensboro has a fun packed holiday season. They have various holiday events happening now and coming up in December. Holiday in the Park started November 21st and will continue through January 2nd. Take a holiday stroll though the beautifully lighted Legion Park with friends and family nightly from 5:30p.m. to 10:00p.m. Christmas at Panther Creek is another holiday event that has begun on November 23rd and will last until January 2nd. It takes place in Panther Creek Park nightly 6:00p.m. to 9:00p.m. Over 415,000 lights are up to enjoy during this driving holiday tradition through Panther Creek Park. Just $3 per vehicle with wagon rides also available.

On December 1st the Owensboro Convention Center will have Breakfast with Santa and Mrs. Claus from 7:30a.m. to 10:00a.m. All your merry favorites, fluffy pancakes, crispy bacon, and choice of juice or coffee and of course, get your picture with Santa Claus. Tickets are on sale online www.owensborotickets.com or may be purchased at the door.

Care Net’s Annual 5k reindeer run/walk will be taking place at the Downtown Riverfront Dec 1st 9:00a.m-11:00a.m. This event is open to runners and walkers of all types. Participants are encouraged to come dressed in Christmas attire (ugly sweaters, Santa hats, bells, fun socks, etc.). Prizes awarded to best dressed and various race winner divisions. Visit with Santa, enjoy hot chocolate, and win prizes as we kick off the Christmas season. Entry fee of $25 includes a long sleeve t-shirt and entry for door prize drawings. Visit RunSignUp.com for registration details.

The Reindeer Experience at Owensboro Museum of Science and History will occur on Saturday, December 1st, between the hours of 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. and 4 – 7 p.m. Prancer’s companion will be along, a miniature horse for the children to pet. Normal museum admission from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. with the reindeer experience included in admission. Between 4 p.m. – 7 p.m. during Holiday Stroll the cost is $5.00 for the Reindeer Experience, but no museum admission is charged.

The Nutcracker by Owensboro Dance Theater will be happening December 1st, 7:00p.m. at the River Park Center. Tickets are on sale now online at OwensboroTickets.com or by calling the River Park Center Box Office (270) 687-2787.

OCTC Chorus will have their 32nd Christmas Concert December 3rd, 7:30-8p.m. at the First Christian Church. The chorus is made up of community members, college students, faculty, and area high school age students. The group has performed with the Owensboro Symphony and in various venues in the Owensboro area.

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever will have various dates throughout December. The community can see this on the 7th ,8th ,9th ,14th ,15th, and 16th at 7:30-9:45p.m. A hilarious yet touching tale of two families and the havoc they wreak upon a local celebration. Tickets are now on sale online or by calling TWO Box Office (270) 683-5333.

The Whitesville Christmas Parade in downtown Whitesville takes place December 8th, 11a.m.-1p.m. It is sponsored by the Whitesville Lion’s Club. 1st and 2nd Place Prizes will be awarded. For more information, please call Lion Sandy Fitzgerald, Committee Chair Person 303-981-3611 or Lion Lewis Jean 270-929-0724.

On December 15th the Owensboro Convention Center is showing A Rockin’ Country Christmas at 7-9:30p.m. This is a live tribute show starring Brad McCrady as Elvis Presley, Terry Lee Ridley as Jerry Lee Lewis, Allen Hilbert as George Jones, Tiffany Puckett as Tammy Wynette, Frank Hamilton as Johnny Cash, Marla Potter as Patsy Cline, Paul Penny as Roy Orbison, Emily Portman as Loretta Lynn, and Tom Ruopp as Merle Haggard. General Admission is $16 with seating as first come, first served.

Another holiday event happening in Owensboro is the Charlie Brown Christmas Live on December 19th, 7:00-9:00p.m. Join Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Lucy, Linus, and the whole Peanuts gang as they produce their own Christmas play and ultimately learn the true meaning of the season. Tickets are on sale now at River Park Center Box Office (270) 687-2787 or online at www.riverparkcenter.org.