Dance Purple for Childhood Cancer

Kentucky Wesleyan College is bringing a new fundraiser to life on campus next Spring. Inspired by DanceBlue at the University of Kentucky, KWC is introducing DancePurple. DancePurple is going to be a 6-hour dance marathon. Teams who sign up will fundraise before the event. All money raised from the dance marathon supports cancer research at the Kentucky Children’s Hospital Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Clinic.

DanceBlue is a student-run organization that fundraises year-round. This tradition started back in 2006. Their dance marathon lasts 24 hours without sitting. The University of Kentucky has been hosting DanceBlue for 12 years and has raised over $13 million to support this cause. In 2017, the University of Kentucky pledged a little over $1 million to open up a new Kentucky Children’s Hospital Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Clinic. It is double the size as the first clinic and provides more privacy and space for their patients.
According to UK Healthcare, the Kentucky Children’s Hospital provides diagnosis of and treatment for childhood hematologic and immunologic disorders and malignancies. The faculty, with expertise in the management of childhood leukemia and solid tumors, actively participates in treatment protocols of the Children’s Oncology Group, the national pediatric clinical oncology cooperative group sponsored by the National Cancer Institute. The division also offers patients’ families a comprehensive program of support services that is directed by a psychiatrist trained in both adult and child psychiatry.

KWC will host its first dance marathon during the Spring semester in 2019 on February 16th from 2p.m.-8p.m. Dinner will be provided to all attendees. There will be gift cards available to be won. The activities of the night will include dancing, playing games, and dedicating time to the kids and families effected by cancer.

Anyone is able to sign-up now. Students, faculty, staff, or community members are welcome. The deadline has been extended to January 15, 2019. People can sign-up as a team. A team consists of 5 people. The cost to sign up is $25, which will be donated to Kentucky Children’s Hospital Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Clinic.

Once a person signs up, they can start fundraising. Each person must raise a minimum of $25. A good way to do this is to ask friends, family, and local businesses. The deadline to finish fundraising is 6p.m. the day of the event, February 16th. The goal is to raise $5,000.
The day of the event will start at 1:30p.m. with signing in until 2p.m. They encourage people to take pictures and post them to social media. The more publicity, the better. You don’t have to participate to be a part of this cause. You can donate to DancePurple on their GoFundMe page or donate to a friend’s team.

Link to donate:
https://www.gofundme.com/dancepurple
Link to sign up:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeU2H1ft8z4dSWcRj0KHVYyvnUCw2bv6OxS_obyyjWTrowiew/viewform