Sexual Assault on College Campuses

Extensive research toward sexual assault prevention on college campuses has been conducted due to the number of occurrences rising daily. With a general focus towards major college campuses, private campuses, such as Kentucky Wesleyan College, are not getting the attention needed to eliminate the issue as close to entirety as possible. Wesleyan’s Title IX Coordinator, Dr. Shane Armstrong, explains the college has not received any serious reports of sexual assault. The recent “See Something, Say Something” campaign and efforts from The Feminist Club, help spread awareness throughout the school and normalize the conversation. With more awareness and acts of prevention from a higher collaboration of students and staff, sexual assault could nearly be eliminated completely.

While administrations are becoming increasingly aware of the sexual assault that occurs on University campuses, there remains an underside to the issue that is rarely discussed. The aftermath of sexual assault is an emotional trauma as well as a physical trauma, and victims may need medical attention. According to Angela F. Amar, PhD, RN, and FAAN from Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, “Medical needs include the detection and management of injuries, screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections, and the provision of emergency contraception.” These possible medical conditions need attention to protect the victim’s health. Sexually transmitted diseases can cause severe pain in the groin area, and severe STDs can alter a person’s overall health and way of life. If a violent sexual assault occurs on Wesleyan’s campus, emergency contraceptives are readily available in the nurse’s office. The nurse also provides free condoms and answers to any sexual health questions students may have.

Often times, sexual harassment is viewed as a form of bullying. According to bullyingstatistics.com, “Physical bullying is a serious problem, affecting not only the bully and the victim, but also the other students who witness the bullying. Parents, teachers, and other concerned adults and young people should be aware of what physical bullying is and some of the ways to handle it.” Students who are targeted by others may not speak up for themselves. Kentucky Wesleyan’s “See Something, Say Something” campaign has been put in place to encourage others to speak up when they witness crime on campus. The Feminist Club’s “Let Her Be!” campaign promotes anti-slut shaming and anti-bullying. With programs, clubs, and campaigns such as these, KWC will continue to become more aware and concerned about social issues.

Rape culture will only continue to gain momentum unless colleges start spreading awareness and enforcing consequences. Kentucky Wesleyan College has an advantage because of the small, private campus and slim student body population. If a message must be spread, a required sexual harassment survey must be made, and punishments must be enforced to keep students safe, it is in the administrations hands to make it happen. Student organizations hold the power to influence others and change the negative environment many victims must live in. Social clubs on campus such as Black Student Union, H.E.R.O., and Feminist club, hold the responsibility to promote acceptance and appreciation for all people. Security cameras can only see so much, what happens behind closed doors is what matters the most.