Panthers Face GMAC Rival Davis and Elkins College

Fredrick Coleman, Staff Writer

The Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers went into a home game versus Davis & Elkins College with an overall record of 16-14. In the GMAC conference, the Panther’s record was 6-7. Davis & Elkins’s overall record entering the game was 5-26. Their GMAC record was standing at 0-13.

In the first game, Kentucky Wesleyan was attacking fast. The Panthers scored early in the top of the first inning after 3 hits. A single was knocked to the left side by Cody Bridges. This led him to steal for second, then set him up to score.

A hit from Joseph Burke set up Cody Bridges to score. Following, Andrew Kirkland hit his seventh home run of the season, sending it to left field. At the bottom of the first, Davis & Elkins managed to sneak in a single run. After this, Davis & Elkins didn’t score for the next five innings.

Ryan Hundley was the reason for Davis & Elkins’s  shutdown. At the top of the third inning, the Panthers extended their victory to 9-0 over Davis & Elkins. Kentucky Wesleyan scored six runs off of five hits.
The bases were loaded with zero outs; Andrew Kirkland set up Lane Kennemore with a hit. Following, Ostin Clark hit a single, allowing Bridges to score. Two batters later, Jake Carter hit, then Ethan Maxey and Clark scored. Following, Chris Johnson’s hit brought Carter in for the score.

Davis & Elkins’s error allowed Chris Johnson to score the last score of the inning. At the end of both the seventh and ninth innings, Davis scored six runs. Those six runs closed the gap 10-7, but the Panthers were too far ahead at this point. Hundley struck out nine people in six innings. He ran four times off of five hits.
At the end of the game, Bridges was 3-4 hits at the plate with 2 runs scored. Maxey finished 2-3, then he drove in and scored one.

The Panthers improved their overall record 17-14. Their GMAC record improved 7-7. This game improved their win streak to five and putt them at .500 percentage. The Panthers also improved their home game winning streak to six.