School Shooting Statistics

La'Darius Dunn, Staff Writer

School shootings have been occurring all over the United States, especially in high schools and colleges. This subject affects not only the families of those involved, but also the whole country. This subject is frowned upon so much that nobody talks about this until it actually happens. “Another Deadly School Shooting” is too commonly seen on the news and social media sites.

Most of the shootings and threats were done by people who had been bullied and reached their limits. There are different ways a person could attempt to stop this issue, like looking for students bullying other students. Some say school shootings are the new normal, and past statistics prove it. “Since 1990, there have been 22 shootings at elementary and secondary schools in which two or more people were killed, not counting those perpetrators who committed suicide” (Herbert 347).

This problem has everyone wondering how many more tragic incidents have to happen before our leaders decide to prevent gun violence. There are several different ways that we could decrease the percentage of these disastrous events. The government could possibly start a gun control policy for all the lives that have been lost through this. Another way it could be  controlled is for our government see to it that our teachers have multiple tactics they can use in these situations.

If there are illegal weapons already on all campuses, especially smaller private schools, we could implement a national public health strategy focused on reducing weapons on school grounds. Parents should feel comfortable when sending their children to school in a safe environment.

School shootings are rarely a surprise, but they still happen anyway. Social media plays a huge role, but it’s also double-sided. This has become an all-too-common and widely seen occurrence in the United States. In his Huffington Post article “What Role is Social media Playing in School Shootings,” AJ Agrawal stated that  “In February 2012, a young killer went on a rampage in an Ohio high school, fatally shooting three classmates. During the whole episode, some students took to social media to let other people know what was going on and that they were okay. Students can now take their social media platforms with them almost everywhere they go, including school.”

At the end of the day, government officials and citizens should both have a voice in gun laws or this issue will continue to happen. We face a lot of different tragedies as a country daily, and we don’t know what to focus on. I personally think school shootings are a global issue that should be further investigated in order to become resolved.