Football Ends Season with Loss to Alderson Broaddus

Tyler Martin Miles, Staff Writer

“As we lined up for the last time of the season, I thought back to myself, this will be the last time I’ll ever put on pads,” senior linebacker Mike Malone told me. “This is more than a game. 14 years, its amazing how perspective changes. The game just makes you grow overall as a person,” he said.

This year’s KWC football team sent out 17 seniors. This class was unique to Coach Brent Holsclaw and staff because this was his “Operation turnaround” group. In 2014-2015 season, this class brought coach his first winning season (7-4) since 2007.

As for the senior night game, the Panthers took on Alderson Brauddus University. The Battlers started out hot, scoring two fast touchdowns. The Panthers trailed until senior running back David White exploded for a 62-yard touchdown run, his longest run of the season. The Panthers went into halftime trailing 14-7.

In the third quarter, Panther Corey Johnson exploded for a huge 55-yard run, putting KWC inside the 10-yard line. Wide Receiver LaDarius Dunn caught an 8-yard touchdowns pass from QB Mike McGee to end the third quarter, bringing the Panthers within three, 31-28.

Early in the fourth quarter, the Battlers scored an early touchdown to extend their lead to 9 points. KWC gave a heavy rush to alter the extra point, and the kicker hit the kick off the upright. KWC got the ball back and went three and out. On the Battlers’ next possession, they squeezed in a field goal to lead 40-28.

On the final possession of the game KWC converted on 4th and 11. On the very next play, starting QB Mike McGee went down with an ankle injury. Back-up QB Eman Westmoreland came into the finish the game off. His first play in the game he threw a 28-yard pass to WR Ladarius Dunn. On the final play of the game, Alderson Broadus sealed their victory with an interception.

Mcgee threw 181 yards for 3 touchdowns, completing 14 of 21 passes. WR Ladarius Dunn led the way with 138 receiving yards. David White dominated the Battlers defense averaging 7.2 yards per carry.

On the defensive side, Junior safety Ty Martin-Miles led the way with 12 tackles, including 8 solo. Senior LB Mike Malone was not too far behind, tagging 10 tackles himself. The Panthers finished their season 2-8 with a conference record of 1-6.