Holiday Events in Owensboro

Every year, Owensboro hosts a myriad of events to boost our holiday spirits! While many of you may be flying or driving home for the holidays, there is still time to start a tradition this year before classes are over. Take a break from studying and enjoy what is offered.

At the Owensboro Museum of Fine Arts, there are several events going on throughout this holiday season, the first being the Annual Holiday Forest Festival of Trees. Beginning on November 11th and running through December 31st, this is the museum’s 41st year of the festival. The exhibit features 20 magnificent trees that have been decorated and designed by local artists and florists. This exhibit will also bring patrons to the Appalachian Spirit Exhibit, which features more than 1000 objects of folk and outsider art. For families, the museum also has a children’s exhibit running throughout the next month, Kids and Art in Artland, which is an interactive art studio exhibit for children ages 4 to 10. Hours of operation for the museum are Tuesday through Friday, 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is $3 for adults and $2 for children under 13 years old.

If you’re into Bluegrass music, then this event is for you. The Rosine Barn Jamboree is a free night of music every Friday night until mid-December. Doors to Bill Monroe, “The Father of Bluegrass’s” favorite spot will open at 5:30 p.m. on December 1st and each Friday thereafter, with jam sessions until the show starts at 7 p.m. Local bands from Kentucky, Illinois, and Indiana are out in full force, with some “special guests” included as well. Bring an instrument and a lawn chair for this one!

Christmas lights are always a tradition in Owensboro at both Legion and Panther Creek parks. Beginning the weekend of Thanksgiving, both parks have light displays set up that will be turned on every night at dusk through New Year’s. The setting is perfect for a late-night stroll with a cup of hot coffee or cocoa to warm your soul. Panther Creek Park is located at 5160  Wayne Bridge Road and Legion Park is located at 3047 Legion Park Drive (just a few blocks away from campus)!

Another beloved tradition of the city of Owensboro, The Nutcracker, is up next. Starting December 1st, you can head down to the RiverPark Center and grab a couple of tickets to watch Owensboro Dance Theatre students perform the timeless story of Marie on Christmas Eve. The show starts at 7 p.m., and tickets start at $17.50. A little pricey, however, there are occasionally student discounts—so bring your KWC I.D.!

A free event for all ages on December 2nd is the annual Holiday Stroll. Spend an evening downtown dining and shopping while listening to Christmas carols, and end the night with the Christmas tree lighting at 5 p.m. Beginning at 3 p.m. there will also be ice carving demonstrations and an Elf on the Shelf scavenger hunt! If you find all the elves, you will win a Nashville weekend getaway for two with tickets to Cirque Dreams Holidaze (a Cirque De Soleil show). Admission to the event is free and a good time for everyone.

The next event on our list is Theatre Workshop of Owensboro’s annual show, A Christmas Carol. Running for two weekends, the 8th-10th, and 16th-17th, you will have tons of opportunities to watch Charles Dickens’ holiday story come alive on stage. December 8, 9, 15, and 16th, the shows begin at 7:30 p.m. sharp, while on December 10th and 17th, the matinees begin at 2 p.m. Tickets are $12 with your student I.D., and you may call ahead to reserve seats at 270-683-5333.

Another music event is the Lanham Brothers Jamboree Christmas Show! Local musicians and brothers Randy and Barry Lanham are hosting their annual Christmas show on December 9th at 7 p.m. this year. The show takes place at Diamond Lake Resorts Theatre out on 7301 Hobbs Road. Other special guests in the bluegrass, country, and gospel show include: Wades Hayes, Annabelle Watts, Skylar Caine, Wayne Morris, Cory Merritt, Jeff Hardesty, Chris Armstrong, Leland Isbill, and Chris Joslin. The show is likely to sell out so you may want to purchase your tickets for $14 from the Lanham Brothers’ website: lanhambrothersjamboree.com now!

Last but not least, on December 9th at 7 p.m. is the Owensboro Symphony’s A Very Merry Holiday Pops. This is the one to beat on the list as the Kentucky Wesleyan Chorale will also be participating with the Symphony’s own chorus, youth orchestra, and children’s chorus in their renditions of holiday favorites. Ticket prices can be found by calling the RiverPark Center box office at 270-687-2787. The RiverPark Center is also where this event will be held, as it is tradition each year.

Events following these are sure to be centered around music and the joy of the holidays for everyone. Even after the holidays are over, look to the Panogram for more upcoming events in the Spring and Summer of 2018. Have Happy Holidays!