Football falls to Lake Erie College

Fredrick Coleman, Staff Writer

On October 28, 2017 the Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers faced the Lake Erie College Storm. In the first quarter, both football teams came out with a very hot start. Combined, 35 points were scored in the first quarter. This was a really exciting quarter for both of the offenses. Lake Erie College improved their overall record to 2-6 and to 2-3 in the Great Mid-West Conference (GMAC). Kentucky Wesleyan College’s record fell to 2-6 overall 1-4 in the GMAC.

Kentucky Wesleyan scored their two touchdown in the opening 8 minutes of the quarter. This gave them a 14-0 lead in the first quarter. Kentucky Wesleyan running back Corey Johnson received a short 4-yard pass from Mike McGee in the end zone to give the Panthers their first touchdown. The Panthers’ defense stopped Lake Erie College’s offense on the following drive. After this possession, McGee threw another touchdown pass, this time to Kentucky Wesleyan wide receiver Ladarrius Dunn for a 32-yard touchdown pass.

After the Panthers’ 14-0 run, Lake Eric College started their own run. The Storm managed to put up their first touchdown late in the first quarter. The following drive, the Lake Erie defense intercepted a pass from Mike McGee to return it for a touchdown. This started Lake Erie’s run late in the first quarter. Lake Erie managed to put up three scores in the first quarter. The Panthers’ defense was able to recover a fumble in the second quarter to gain momentum. Lake Erie College went on a 28-0 run against the Panthers. Wesleyan’s special teams were able to come up with a score of their own after a blocked field goal was returned for a touchdown.

In the second quarter, Lake Erie College only managed to put up one touchdown. The Panthers were able to score two touchdowns to start a 14-7 run over Lake Erie. At halftime, Lake Erie only led the Panthers by a point, 28-27. To start the third quarter, Lake Erie came out and scored two touchdown to start another run on the Kentucky Wesleyan College Panthers. This gave Lake Erie a commanding 42-27 lead over the Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers.

After this there was no more scoring in the third quarter. Both defenses had a better second half than first half. The Panthers’ offense had a lot of trouble trying to find the end zone in the second half of the game.
The Panthers were not able to put up any points in the second half of the game while Lake Erie scored a total of 17 point in the second half. Lake Erie kicked a field goal in the fourth quarter to give them a 45-7 lead over the Panthers.

The Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers will play their final away game on November 3, 2017 against Ohio Dominican. This game is also a GMAC conference game for the Panthers. After this game, the Panthers will host their final game of the season at home against Alderson Broaddus on November 11, 2017.