Panthers Beat Malone for First Conference Win

Fredrick Coleman, Staff Writer

The Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers faced off against the Pioneers during Malone University’s homecoming game. The Panthers were able to bounce back after losing their own homecoming game to give the pioneers a loss on their homecoming. The Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers collected 528 yard of total offence to defeat Malone University 34-30 on Saturday. This was the Panthers’ first conference win of the season. The Panthers improve their record to 2-4 overall and a 1-2 conference record.  Malone University’s record is 0-6 overall.

The Panthers had trouble starting off the game, only managing to score 3 points from Chris Logsdon, the Panthers’ kicker. Malone University scored two touchdowns in the second quarter to take a 20-3 lead over the Kentucky Wesleyan. The second quarter is when the Panthers found that little spark. Kentucky Wesleyan’s quarterback Mike McGee connected with the Panthers’ wide receiver Jared Beard to get in the red zone. This helped the panthers cut into the lead 20-10.

Kentucky Wesleyan’s Peyton Marksbury forced a fumble on Malone’s next possession, putting the Panthers in good field position. It only took Kentucky Wesleyan a matter of time before they found the end zone again. McGee found tight end Trey Waltermire for a four-yard touchdown grab. This helped the Panthers cut the lead down even more to 20-17.

At the start of third quarter, McGee completed a pass to wide receiver Ladarrius Dunn for a 40-yard gain, which put the Panthers in the red zone. A couple plays later McGee found freshman Chauncey Greer in the end for a 17-yard touchdown grab. Malone managed to score on their following drive completing a 20-yard field goal to tie the score with the Panthers.

Kentucky Wesleyan received a penalty that gave Malone University another shot in the red zone. But the Panthers’ defense managed to make a stand and limit Malone to just a field goal, which gave the Pioneers a 30-27 lead over the Panthers. However, KWC answered back with a touchdown. Mcgee found wide receiver Alex Gray and delivered a 63-yard catch for a touchdown to give the Panthers a 3-point lead.

Malone University got in the red zone their following drive to try win the game but an 11-yard penalty pushed Malone back. The Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers did the rest by stopping Malone University on its final drive of the game to receive their first conference game win.   The Panthers will travel next week for another conference away game in Findlay, Ohio.