Black Student Union at KWC

The BSU, known as the Black Student Union, is a group here at Kentucky Wesleyan that formed to give students an opportunity to learn more about diversity. The purpose of the BSU is to represent the diverse campus community and to actively participate in functions that enrich and enlighten our community as a whole. The BSU strives to make every person feel welcome and know that no matter what race or gender they may be, each one of us holds a purpose. Being a part of the BSU will help you find that purpose through seminars and social events, such as real talk.

REAL TALK is a series of events held every year. In this event we talk about DICE, which represents diversity, inclusion, community, and empowerment. We also discuss topics specifically related to each of these subjects. Members ask students how they feel about certain things and allow them to express any concerns or suggestions in order to create a more diverse, friendly, and welcoming community.

The BSU strives to find multiple ways to not only get students of color involved, but any student that finds interest in diversity. Each year a number of events are held for the club including things like kickball, cookouts, game night, and even a water day event in the quad.

The BSU is also led in the right direction by President Elizabeth Fakunle, a Louisville, KY native and high achieving student here at Kentucky Wesleyan. She is backed by a great team of amazing scholar students here at KWC including Vice President Autumn Harris and Secretary Zakyra Lumumba Carroll.

This year’s events will be coordinated by Teairra Payton and Alesia Hardin. The organizations stand officer is Aneya Hardin, advised by Peniel Mboma. With most of these leaders being student athletes, it’s no wonder why this organization seems to be a hot topic!