Football Wins Big Against Livingstone Bears

The Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers football team played their first home game in Steele Stadium on September 9, 2017. The Panthers also received their first win to improve their record to 1-1 and Livingstone’s record fell to 0-2. The Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers’ offense played impressively recording a total of 341 yards. T

he Kentucky Wesleyan College defense and special teams played a big role in the 33-13 win over Livingstone, scoring 8 of the Kentucky Wesleyan 33 during Saturday’s game.

Wide receiver Jarred Beard started the Panthers offense with a 40-yard kick-off return. Kentucky Wesleyan’s offense took the field and Mike McGee threw a 29-yard reception to wide receiver Ladarius Dunn to put the Panthers in field position. A few plays later, Kentucky Wesleyan kicker nailed a 41-yard field goal to give Kentucky Wesleyan a 3-0 lead over Livingstone.

The Livingstone Bears scored their first touchdown in the last 5 minutes of the first quarter to take a 7-3 lead over the Panthers in the first quarter.

At the beginning of the second quarter Mike McGee connected with Ladarius Dunn again for an 18-yard touchdown grab. This gave the panthers a 10-7 lead over the Livingstone Bears.

Midway through the second quarter, Kentucky Wesleyan’s special teams put Livingstone Bears in a bad field position. The bad field position helped the Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers defense stop the bears in their end zone to record a safety, giving the Panthers a 12-7 lead over the bears.

A few drives later, Mike McGee connected with wide receiver Derrick Barnes for a 17-yard touchdown and the Panthers took a commanding 19-7 lead.
Kentucky Wesleyan scored two touchdowns in the third quarter. One of those touchdowns came from the defense. Livingstone fumbled the ball on a double reverse option and Kentucky Wesleyan’s Devyn Bledsoe, a freshman defensive linebacker, recovered the fumble and took it for a 53-yard touchdown. The second touchdown came from a 5-yard pass to Amad Mitchell to give the Panthers a 33- 7 lead over the Livingstone Bears.

After the offense went 42-yards, less than 3 minutes remained midway through the third quarter.
The Panthers’ offense scored zero touchdowns in the fourth quarter. Livingstone scored their second touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Kentucky Wesleyan won their first game by a large margin 33-13. Some of the Panthers’ stand out performances include Mike McGee, quarterback, who completed 20 passes for a total of 255 yards, Amad Mitchel, running back, who ran 7 times for 39 yards, Mike Malone, linebacker, who recorded 6 tackles, and Dalan Cofer, freshman defensive end, who recorded 9 tackles. The Panthers played hard for four quarters and came out with a 33 -13 win over Livingston Bears.