A Review of Stephen King’s It

Mariah Wise, Staff Writer

On September 8, 2017, Stephen King’s It came back to life on the big screen. The novel, originally released in 1986, was re-made for this 2017 adaptation, which differs from the original mini-series produced in 1990. If you don’t know the story of It, you will before this review is over.

Originally played by Tim Curry, ‘It’ was an evil of some sort that mostly appeared as a late 19th century-style clown to small children. Stuck in the sewers underneath Derry, a small town in Maine, Pennywise the Clown, lures children into the sewer by coaxing them in with promises of balloons, candy, and a promise that “we all float down here.”

When opening, the film focuses on brothers Bill and Georgie. Bill sends Georgie, the younger of the two, outside during a storm to play with his paper boat. Georgie disappears unbeknownst to anyone else at the hands of Pennywise, and is presumed dead.

Fast forward 30 years, the adult version of Bill and his group of friends “The Losers Club” return to Derry to investigate as another set of children disappearing is plaguing Derry yet again. The viewer follows this troop from adulthood to childhood and back as they regain the memories, and see why they promised to come back to Derry if ‘It’ happened again.

The new film follows the same story line; however, the effects are much better, and Bill Scarsgård’s portrayal of Pennywise the Clown, was equally, if not more, terrifying than Tim Curry’s version from 1986.

The 2017 version of King’s novel is going to be split into two movies, as the original film was, due to director Andy Muschietti wanting to focus one film on the children’s original journey with Pennywise, and their adult return to Derry.