What Do You Do When Losing is Your Only Choice?

Last week I attended a chapel event hosted by De’Vonta Moffitt. De’Vonta talked to me that Monday about attending his event because he felt like the presentation had a theme that I would really embrace and use in my life. Moffitt has become a good friend of mine on campus. His spirit, his past, and his attitude everyday are a few of the reasons I personally look up to him. Therefore, when he told me that the message he would relay would relate to my fourth quarter in basketball games, I told myself for those reasons I had to be there to support him, and I could tell it was a message that I would really be able to use.

The event was a bit more packed then I expected. When I walked in, I could tell that Moffitt was content with the amount of people he had for his service. Right away, he introduced the theme of the presentation. He asked, “What do you do when you only have the option to lose?” After he said that, you could see and almost feel the reaction from the whole crowd. That is a great question. What do you actually do? Everyone seemed pretty engaged. Moffitt began to talk about experiences he’s had in his life where his only option was to lose. He mentioned how when the experiences were taking place, he didn’t realize how they were positively impacting his life.

The common perception is that losing sucks and losers are not cool, they cannot be learned from, and they have nothing to show for. The thing is, many people who have lost in the past are now winners and many winners are now “losers.” Moffitt brought his past and translated it to the present. He was once an unheard victim of abuse. He was a loser in his eyes. He was losing by being unheard, and he felt as if he was losing by being abused. Next he spoke on the fact that he was molded to be the young, intelligent, big hearted man he is today, because of everything he has been to. Moffitt talked about the sports teams too, and how even the worst of the worst losses can be the best end result, maybe not for a team, but for the players as individuals. He spoke on the games the basketball team plays against Louisville every year. He mentions how we have never beaten Louisville, but he truly believes even when we have lost to Louisville, going forward it has helped us grow as individuals and teammates. This is possible.

Louisville is one of the top Division one teams in the country, and starting with them as the first game every year can be a wake-up call to improvements we need to make as young men and as teammates. As I listened to Moffitt’s strong message and watched the look in his eyes, I felt a sense that I was “winning” just being in his presence.

I am a strong believer that God puts people in your life to either impact you or teach you a lesson of some sort. I have been through so much in my life, and for me to meet someone like De’Vonta who is so selfless, has been through so much, and is still standing with his head high, it really hit me. He was a genius for inviting me to this chapel event because I truly needed it. It was a blessing and it was so easy for me to relate. For example, two years ago I tore my Achilles while in the process of transferring schools. As a college basketball player, that’s never a healthy situation to be in. Not only was I trying to find another high level program to offer me a scholarship, but I was also trying to block out the doctors that told me I would never play again. When I got injured, I thought there was a chance I would never play basketball again. I thought I had lost. But I never gave up. Everyday I suffered, but everyday I fought as well. Even when I couldn’t walk without a boot, I was in the gym standing on my “good” leg putting up shots. I still had hope. However, I was so defeated in the sense that I did not truly believe. God must have blessed me with ultimate strength because I continued to push.

Now I am right here, at Kentucky Wesleyan, 100% healed. Last year my team and I won a conference championship. I also won second team all-conference as a personal reward. I beat the odds set against me. I won and I wouldn’t have been able to unless I fell down and took a loss first. After this chapel event, that all made sense.