Baseball Splits 4-Game Series Against Cedarville

The Kentucky Wesleyan Baseball program looked to cap off of a 20-21 (9-7 conference start) heading into the Cedarville series. The goal every matchup for the boys is obviously a sweep, but Cedarville came in prepared and ready to battle. In the first game, the boys took a 6-7 loss. In the second, a high scoring 20-14 win. The third game was Cedarville’s and they took the series lead by one, winning by one point. In the very last game of the series, Wesleyan tied the knot winning 7-3 in a comfortable fashion. The series was a great one for not only the people that came to support the team, but also for the guys on the field who gave it their all.

In the first game, one of the more intense, down to the wire match-ups of them all, Wesleyan came up just short, allowing a walk-off win for Cedarville. The Yellow Jackets were down 6-3, when in the very last inning they scored 4 runs in order to seal the game by one point. Although Wesleyan came up just short, Andrew Kirkland, John Brown, Josh Galvin, and Cody Bridges had stand out games for Wesleyan. Kirkland, just coming off of a G-Mac athlete of the year award, has been leading the team to its capabilities in the past few outings. Although Cedarville got the win, you could tell the Wesleyan boys were not going to let the series fade by any means.

In the second game, Wesleyan routed the Cedarville 20-14 in a high batting game. The game wasn’t all a piece of cake for KWC. Wesleyan overcame a seven-point deficit in order to fight back and get the win versus the Yellow Jackets. Kirkland finished the game going 2 for 4 with 3 runs scored. Bridges, Burkes, and Snoddgrass all chipped in with 3 hits, Burkes the heaviest load with three runs brought in. The boys tied up the series 1-1 in a huge game to gain some momentum moving forward.

Game 3, became the tie breaker that everyone anticipated. When the series is 1-1 both teams want to get this game to get out ahead. Neither team was going to sit down and let the other do whatever it is that they want to do. Unfortunately, the walk-off loss the day before would not be the last one. Cedarville defeated Kentucky Wesleyan off of a walk off single with two runners in scoring position.  The final score was 3-4. As you can see, this game was more low scoring than the last few, as both teams seemed to be locked in defensively the entire game. Although we lost, it was a great game.

Game 4, the last game of the series, belonged to Wesleyan. KWC was set to attempt a series tie, while the Cedarville boys wanted to go ahead and take complete advantage in the series 3-1. Wesleyan jumped out to an early lead as they got ahead 4-0. Sammy Holder, Kentucky Wesleyan’s pitcher, was at his finest. He only allowed one base runner the first 3 innings and really had a knack for moving the batters off of the box in a fashionable manner. He just seemed to be “hot.” Both Bridges and Josh Galvin hit a pair of singles that brought in runs, which ultimately led to the early lead. Cedarville got close, knocking the lead down to 2 as they made a reach to tie the game back up at 4-2. It just wasn’t enough as Wesleyan continued to play well. Cedarville came up short and Wesleyan got the win.

The series between Cedarville and Kentucky Wesleyans was a great one as an end result. Both teams battled hard. Everyone wants to see teams fight hard and we got every bit of that. The boys tied games in the series 2-2, showing promise for the excitement of a possible playoff matchup later in the year. It will be cool to see where both teams end up, as they battle to continue to get better and to win series like this in the future.