Page to Stage Presents “Stories of Soldiers Veterans Project”

This weekend, April 22nd, there will be a new wave of plays hitting the stage of Theater Workshop, all thanks to several students at Kentucky Wesleyan College. The show, titled Stories of Soldiers Veterans Project, explores the lives of several veterans of all ages on stage. The students producing these new works have written and/or directed each script that will be put on stage, for their class final in Page to Stage—being taught by Professor Beth Demunbrun and Prof. Tamara Coy.

Page to Stage is an Junior level elective for most students at Kentucky Wesleyan, and a major requirement for those pursuing theatre. This is the second time Page to Stage will be putting on their new works, and the students involved are very excited to show off their new found directing and writing skills.

Each piece the audience will see is a true story, adapted from interviews with individual veterans that each student enrolled in the class conducted. They range from stories of combat in the Vietnam War, to a night at the Senior ball, where the guy gets the girl. Students from all academic majors are participating as actors, and many of them the audience will see more than once, playing different characters in different pieces.

Prof. Demunbrun and Prof. Coy have coached the students in their class on writing a script based off of an interview, editing, letting go of the script as a writer, and then stepping into the role of a director, with someone else’s piece in mind. Most of the students in the class did not get to direct their own piece and were able to collaborate through peer review, as well as the relationship between a director and a writer, to create the final drafts that were given the last four weeks to rehearse.

The theme for the scripts, telling the stories of veterans, becomes an important issue in today’s society. While we are not in an all out war right now, there are close to 1.4 million individuals enlisted in the U.S. Military. The majority will most likely see combat, or serve for extended periods of time in their lives. With these 1.4 million individuals, comes millions and millions more people who are the family of those individuals. Whether it be wives, sisters, brothers, husbands, children, etc. some of the scripts the audience will see presented have to do less with the war and more with how serving in the military can affect the families and people connected with  those serving. Along with that comes the responsibility for us as a society to understand and sympathize with those who are serving, have served, or have family who are serving and have served.

Stories of Soldiers is comprised of nine to ten- ten minute scripts, therefor the show will be close to two hours, with no intermission. It will be performed at 2 p.m. in Theater Workshop of Owensboro’s Trinity Center, on West 5th Street.

If this interests you, please take the time to explore all other forms of performing arts that Owensboro has to offer! Aside from Kentucky Wesleyan College, all middle school and high school performances are open to the public in Owensboro—tickets can be purchased at the door. Back Alley Musicals will open “Honk!” this Thursday, April 20th at 7 p.m. in the Jody Berry Theatre at the RiverPark Center, and Theater Workshop of Owensboro will be performing running “Baby!” for 2 more weekends in April: Friday and Saturday, April 21-22nd, at 7:30 p.m., Sunday, April 23, at 2 p.m., and next Friday and Saturday, April 28-29, at 7:30 p.m. tickets can be bought at the door at all productions!