Vacation Fun Just Hours Away

Morgan Herzog, Staff Writer

I recently went on a trip to Gatlinburg and I highly recommend everyone to go visit Gatlinburg during the summer or any school break. It is a great place for a couple’s or family trip. There are many attractions, restaurants, stores, and activities. They recently had a massive fire, but there are still plenty of cabins and hotels that did not get damaged.

For those of you who are looking for some adventure, I would recommend a few must do activities. First, there are beautiful hikes that people can go on. There are beginner, intermediate, and advanced trails. The hike I went on was up a mountain to Laurel Falls. It is a one and a half mile hike up to this beautiful waterfall. There is also a half mile hike up to Clingmans Dome, which is the highest point in the park.

Zip lining and whitewater rafting are also available. The zip lining tour takes you through the mountains, on either beginner or advanced lines. The whitewater rafting is a little dangerous, but it was the most fun thing I had the entire trip. There are also mountain coasters that are on top of the mountain, which is a lot of fun.

There are so many activities at Gatlinburg that one could never do them all. My family and I did Hillbilly Golf, moonshine tasting, popcorn tasting, mirror maze, and earthquake simulator. The Hillbilly Golf takes place on the side of the mountain and is not your average putt-putt.. I enjoyed the popcorn tasting a lot because they had 35 different flavors to taste like dill pickle, chili cheese, salt and vinegar, strawberry, cookies and crème, just to name a few.

I couldn’t tell you how many stores there are, but I can tell you they have every store imaginable, along with outlet malls. Right beside Gatlinburg is Pigeon Forge, another strip that is only a few miles away with various stores.

My favorite restaurant I ate at was Huck Finn’s Catfish. That place had a great atmosphere and excellent food. Another cool place to eat at in Pigeon Forge is Dixie Stampede. This is where you eat your food and also watch a horse show.

There are various museums that one can visit while on vacation. They have car museums, Ripley’s museums, and wax museums. I was not able to visit any of them, but while driving past they all looked very amusing.