Stand For Louisville

Michael Malone, Staff Writer

Stand for Louisville is a volunteer based community group working to bridge together the people and communities of Louisville. Growing up in the west end of Louisville, Kentucky, me and my twin brother Malik Malone always saw a lot of things that could change and we also saw a lot of things that we shouldn’t have seen. Our father died when we were just baby boys, so growing up without a father in west Louisville without a father, the odds were already stacked
against us. But we wouldn’t let it determine the way it would define our lives.

I am a true believer in the phrase, “It takes a village to build a man.” And that is what it took to raise me and my brother in the hard parts of Louisville. If it were my neighbor, sisters, granny, or friends’ mothers, they were always making sure that we were doing the right thing and staying out of trouble as much as they could.

On October 26, 2006, I had the first tragic death in my family and it was my big cousin Darryl Head. He was shot driving in the wrong neighborhood on a late night and it hit my family hard as it was my mom’s first born nephew. Ever since then me and my brother wanted something better not only for us but for our community that we loved so much. Recently, one of my best friends from my childhood was shot on the highway where he later was pronounced dead, after that happened we said enough is enough.

Furthermore, my brother and I always said if we ever get our names big enough in the city of Louisville we wanted to do something big that will help change our community drastically. So after years and years of playing football, a lot of people started to put respect behind our names. We said to ourselves, how about we be more then big name football stars in the city; how about we help motivate our youth and show them that they can be anything that they put their
minds to and show them that there is more to life than what the streets have to offer. We created our group with some more young, powerful men that know what it’s like living in Louisville’s west end and that also want to change and better our communities.

On our staff we have: Founder Malik Malone, Co- Founder Michael Malone, Director of Operations Marcel Malone, Co-Director of Operations Avery Haynes, Director of Personnel Kam Cuff, Director of Performances Jerry Coleman, and Financial Advisor Jalen Cooper. We are true believers in the quote by Dr. Martin Luther King “Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than love. It destroys community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue. Violence ends by defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers.”

Stand for Louisville is collaborating with local artists, athletes, politicians, and even a couple of celebrities to start having events to give young people a way to have a good time without violence and to help get people to try and make the community a better place. Louisville reached a surprising number of 112 homicides in just the year of 2016. Most of the violence really started to get out of hand in 2014 with the teenage mob. About 52 percent of the people murdered were identified as 25 years or younger. Most of the homicides are due to gun violence in the city. So we are here to show our young generation that there is more to life and that we can have a good thing in our city like we use to.

Stand for Louisville will also be partnering with a lot of other organizations doing things with sports, talent shows, comedy shows, community service, etc. We are here to bridge our community back together.

STAND FOR LOUISVILLE!