KWC Softball Splits Games vs. Cedarville

Malek Harris, Staff Writer

The Kentucky Wesleyan softball team beat Cedarville 11-10 on Friday night to give them their 13th conference win of the season.  The team moves to 28-18 overall and is looking to keep climbing in order to make it to the post season in solid form. Wins like these are what the panthers need to continue to improve as a team. Close, high-leveled ball games, calls for the key players to make key plays.

In the first game, Kentucky Wesleyan fell behind 1-5. Cedarville came out hitting strong and they scored runs in each the second and third innings. Fortunately, Mallory Nease hit a big RBI to bring in Hannah Slack, as Wesleyan tried to fight its way out of the early deficit. The girls really gave it their all in the first game, but Cedarville’s attack was the better one, and we took the fall.

The second game was all KWC from the start. The girls jumped out to a 4-0 lead, getting consecutive hits from Jaylin Tidwell, Lexie Mullen, Mallory Nease, Jamie Tempel, and Courtney Lockwood. The team’s experience and ability to make big hits helped gain them the one-point victory. Lexie Mullen contributed with her play that has been so consistent as of late, getting her team-leading eighth home run in the contest against Cedarville.  She also contributed another hit, as her and Tidwell got 2 of 17 hits each. Casey Smith also picked up her sixth win of the season, striking out 2 of her opponents and allowing 9 runs off of 10 hits. It was not the most ideal way to win, considering the pitchers always desire to have anything close to the perfect game, but most importantly the girls were able to get the job done and they did it together.

Kentucky Wesleyan’s 4 standout performers were said to be Alexis Mullen, Mallory Nease, Jaylin Tidwell, and Maddie Dawson. The girls impacted the game in a variety of ways, and ultimately brought the leadership that was needed to push forward into the win. Not to take anything away from Cedarville’s player of the game, Jessica Steger, and the rest of Cedarville, but the better team won and that team was guided by the four leading players statistically for Wesleyan.

All in all, I believe the game that the girls dropped helped them finish out the series strong. The way that they had a group of girls play in that second game from the start to finish was phenomenal, and for them to win it was much needed. Cedarville was no push over in talent or work ethic. Both teams fought right down to the final straw. In the end, players make plays, and players like Lexie Mullen, Jaylin Tidwell, and Mallory Nease stepped up when their teams needed them the most. Hopefully the girls can use these wins to keep the momentum going into the next few. It is going to be a battle for the rest of the season, but we believe in our softball team here at KWC! With the talent, leadership, and experience the softball team has, hopefully they can do special things this year in the post season, and in the near future. GO PANTHERS!