Men’s Basketball Bring Home GMAC Championship

Malek Harris, Staff Writer

The Great Midwest Athletic Conference (GMAC) is a conference full of competition, passion, and diligence. The teams in the GMAC are all coached by great coaches and mentors, and the tradition of each team is proven. From past successes, to the undefeated and historic season up to date this year, Kentucky Wesleyan has built somewhat of a dynasty with the basketball teams that have been produced by Head Coach Happy Osborne. Another GMAC Tournament Championship would put an exclamation point to that claim.

A historic season went down in the books as Kentucky Wesleyan College’s Men’s Basketball team went undefeated, making them the first team ever to go undefeated in regular season GMAC play. On Friday, March 3, the team earned their way into the GMAC Conference Tournament. The six teams with the best records in the conference are all selected for this tournament. With KWC’s undefeated conference play, they earned the first seed and also a bye game.

KWC’s first opponent was Malone. If KWC won this game, the team would make it into the Championship game. Although Malone entered as a fourth seed, they were a very tough team who never backed down. KWC got off to a slow start once the game got going, but for the most part, they got quickly into gear. Everyone on the team produced and played hard. The end result was KWC mounting Malone 94-72 in dramatic fashion. The conference championship game was the next objective.

Alderson Broaddus defeated Davis and Elkins in a very good battle to reach the championship game on the other side of the tournament bracket. Therefore, all KWC had left to do was beat Alderson Broaddus on their home floor, for a bid to the national tournament.

Alderson Broaddus had a Coach of the Year Head Coach, and a group of scrappy players who believed they could come out and beat the Wesleyan team any night. KWC’s game plan was to play desperate, almost as if Alderson Broaddus were the one seed and KWC had everything to lose in the game.

The Owensboro Sportscenter was packed, and just about everyone in the gym was wearing purple, so KWC knew they had all the support they needed. The team told themselves in the huddle, that they came too far as a family and as brothers to let up here, and that nothing would stop them from cutting down the nets after this game.

The passion and hard work started early, as KWC got off to an early run to start the game. KWC defeated Alderson Broaddus 91-59.