The Season of Lent

Morgan Herzog, Staff Writer

Starting Wednesday, March 1, Catholics are now currently participating in a tradition called Lent. Lent is when an individual prepares for Easter for 40 days by fasting, praying, and penitence.

The word Lent is derived from the word Lenten, which means springtime. During Lent, Catholics will participate in a ritual called “Ash Wednesday”. On Ash Wednesday, you would see people with ashes on their forehead in the shape of a cross. This symbolizes the dust that God made mankind with. The priest rubs the ashes on one’s forehead while simultaneously stating “Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return.”

The Friday before Easter Sunday is known as Good Friday. This day commemorates the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. Also, every Friday the people participating may not eat red meat. This is an act of penitence to remember the Friday on which Jesus Christ was crucified. Lent ends on Holy Saturday. Holy Saturday, also known as Great Sabbath, is the day after Good Friday during Holy Week. This was the day that Jesus rested from his work of providing salvation.

Easter Sunday follows Holy Saturday. On Easter, everyone will celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ and mark the end of Holy Week. Lent has prepared those for this very important day.