Intramural Basketball

Intramural Sports are referred to as recreational sports organized within particular institutions, usually an educational institution. Intramural sports consist of matches and contests that take place among teams from “within the walls” of an institution or area. The term dates to the 1840s. It is contrasted with extramural, varsity or intercollegiate sports, which are played between teams from different educational institutions. The word intramural, which also correctly means “between institutions”, is a common error for “intramural”. The first intramural sports’ departments were established at Ohio State University and the University of Michigan in 1913. “Elmer Mitchell, a graduate student at the time, was named the first Director of Intramural Sports at the University of Michigan in 1919, where the first recreational sports facility in the country opened. Mitchell is considered the father of intramural sports.”

Intramural basketball at Kentucky Wesleyan College has turned into a great tradition for students. Students receive the opportunity to play or be a part of a club for the college community. Intramurals provide activities for students that are fun and competitive. Students get to meet new friends and become involved with programs that have limited time commitments. Intramural basketball also allows the student to show off and perform for a crowd.

This year’s Kentucky Wesleyan basketball intramural’s consist of seven teams: Team 1- Squad, Team 2- Runners, Team 3- Dem Butta Boys, Team 4- Sammies, Team 5- Hidenrite, Team 6- White Boy Academy, and Team 7- Izz.

Intramural basketball involves a lot of teamwork, leadership, and communication. To play the game of basketball it takes 5 individuals, working together as one team. Intramurals also involve leadership skills in order for you to organize your team. The leader on the court serves as the point guard, which organizes the team and puts them in positions to score. Lastly, intramurals teach communication skills. To be on a team or even organize a team, you have to communicate effectively.

Intramural basketball displays other students’ abilities to play the game that may not be on Kentucky Wesleyan’s basketball team. Intramural basketball gives the opportunity for students that may not have had the chance to play collegiate basketball. It gives students the opportunity to live out their dreams to play for a team if they’ve never played for one. Intramural basketball serves as a great extracurricular activity for those who love the game of basketball.

Next Sunday’s Intramural Basketball Games will start at 7:00 PM in the Health and Recreation Center.